Changing Fur Colour

Hi everyone, just a question to put out there, I have a 5 yr old black and silver mini schnauzer that has a patch of her silver fur on her back changing to black wire fur. I know they are double coated and she never really grew alot of wire fur as she grew so she is lovley and fluffy. I clip her not strip. Vets are unsure whats going on as well. Skin is a ok and she is as healthy as ever. Anyone one with any ideas??????

:rofl:

There has been no trauma or hair pulled out. From the last time I clipped her I noticed the fluffy fur had gone and black wire growing. Weird though. Could she now be getting her wire coat as the patch seems to be getting bigger????????? She is a very soft coated girl and I thought maybe now her wire is going to come through ???? :crossfingers: My other mini is just fine. Thanks for giving me ideas though. xx

There has been no trauma or hair pulled out. From the last time I clipped her I noticed the fluffy fur had gone and black wire growing. Weird though. Could she now be getting her wire coat as the patch seems to be getting bigger????????? She is a very soft coated girl and I thought maybe now her wire is going to come through ???? :crossfingers: My other mini is just fine. Thanks for giving me ideas though. xx

How's her thyroid levels?

My mini (now gone to the bridge) developed an underperforming thyroid when he was around 7 years old. The fur on the lower half of his back towards his tail became quite 'sparse' which sent us to the vet. He ended up having to have daily thyroxine tablets which fixed it. Thyroid levels are not usually automatically tested for when you do general blood panels. It is usually a separate test.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi everyone, just a question to put out there, I have a 5 yr old black and silver mini schnauzer that has a patch of her silver fur on her back changing to black wire fur. I know they are double coated and she never really grew alot of wire fur as she grew so she is lovley and fluffy. I clip her not strip. Vets are unsure whats going on as well. Skin is a ok and she is as healthy as ever. Anyone one with any ideas??????

:thumbsup:

Hi LMS

My 4yrs old mini schnauzer ia having the same problem. I am just wondering if you have taken yours to a vet? If yes, is it serious?

Thanks

:thumbsup:

Hi LMS

My 4yrs old mini schnauzer ia having the same problem. I am just wondering if you have taken yours to a vet? If yes, is it serious?

Thanks

I think you will find in the OP that the dog has been taken to the vet and they dont know what it is, thus how serious it may be.

There has been no trauma or hair pulled out. From the last time I clipped her I noticed the fluffy fur had gone and black wire growing. Weird though. Could she now be getting her wire coat as the patch seems to be getting bigger????????? She is a very soft coated girl and I thought maybe now her wire is going to come through ???? :smurfanim: My other mini is just fine. Thanks for giving me ideas though. xx

No, the harsh coat doesn't just suddenly start growing, it takes the correct grooming for it to happen.

It sounds like you need to go back to the vet, if you are sure the skin hasn't suffered any trauma, then it would suggest and underlying health problem.