Dogs There When You Need Them

jacqui835

My rational mind says, can't be so, but perhaps it is!

My puppy has both cheered me up and taken care of me. Once I had a migraine, which involved lying very still for most of the day. He's a lively little guy and usually would never spend the day lying still - but this day he did. I was so grateful!!!

I remember distinctly one day I was very sad. He clowned around til I went from crying out loud to actually laughing out loud. I didn't realise at the time, and was actually annoyed that he wouldn't just let me be. But in reflection, he was very sweet with me.

I agree that all children should have a dog to tell their secrets to!

Hope the food poisoning has passed.

I havent noticed Honey behave more sooky to me when Im sick or unhappy, she is always very snuggly. :D

However, she does get quite frantic when my daughters get upset, particularly my youngest.

Being of primary school age (6 and 8) it happens frequently that one or the other will get upset sometime during the day. :shrug:

Honey MUST make sure they are ok, usually by trying to heave all 27kgs of her big fluffy butt onto their little laps and snuggling in for a hug. She is very insistent and gets a very worried look on her face.

Its very sweet and most times is much appreciated by the drama queen of the moment. :eek:

All kids should have a big fluffy butt to cuddle when they have "the meanest mum EVER". :eek:

I know my dog was the only one who understood me when I was a kid.

That's just gorgeous dee lee :rofl:

My dogs couldn't give a rats about me if ever I am upset or unwell, they think of themselves and only themselves :D

Now that sounds like my KIDS! :rofl:

Thank god for the dog!!

Some lovely stories.

I had a strange but lovely moment with Orbit this afternoon. We had just finished a good game of tug and chasies and we were sitting down on the lawn facing each other. I was actually thinking at the time how he sees me has his pal - we play together, sleep together, do everything together. Anyways, I just started talking to him about random stuff and he was really listening! He was looking at me so intently. Then he crawled closer and flopped down on his side against me and I just stroked him and kept talking. Then, he did the strangest thing. He rolled over on his back and I leant over to rub his chest and he stretched out his front legs and fully put them around me and pulled me down to him. It was amazing. He's put a paw over me before when we're laying next to each thing, but this was different. So we had a full on hug! But then he must have decided it was so lovey dovey and kicked me in the stomach and walked away :shrug:

My Dobe was always so good when I was sick. She would stick by me and not even demand a walk, she always knew when I wasn't well, which was excellent because I used to get a lot of migraines when I was younger.

Bronte mopes when I'm sick because she doesn't get a bouncy reaction from me, but she's such a well behaved girl she copes pretty well.

I have awful food poisoning tonight and everything that goes with it, I can't sleep because of stomach cramps and I feel as though if I throw up one more time I will just collapse. My partner is being as supportive as he can, but having just started a new job in a new city, well he has no sick leave yet and staying home tomorrow is not an option. My dog though is just following me around and won't leave my side. I was in the bathroom, didn't have enough time to close the door, and he just came in and put his paw on my leg, whilst just looking up at me. It was an almost human gesture and just immeasurably comforting. He just sits by me every time I'm sick, and is now curled up next to me in the lounge room - since there's not a whole lot of point going back to bed. We tried making him go back to bed, but he just sat on the floor next to me, so my partner brought his bed out and now he's sleeping here next to me. I'm feeling very mopey and emotional right now, but I can't imagine going through this alone and I'm just so grateful to have such a beautiful creature in my life.

It's amazing to me that he can tell I'm not well, and even more amazingly, he cares and knows how to make me feel better.

If anyone has any similar sorts of stories I would love to hear them.

Aren't they lovely? Our BC is great when I am sick...though the first time I was ill and vomiting, she tried to help a little too much by emptying the bucket while I was out cold on the floor :shrug: Luckily she is slightly less 'hands on' now and just keeps a quiet presence next to me until I'm up and about again. Hope you are feeling better now!

Edited by Sydoo

My dog max like to come in my room when im upset and be all happy and roll on the ground to make me laugh. :eek: He is such a sweety and i sometimes hug him for ages and he just lays there as if to say im here :shrug:

I know he's not a dog but i thought id say my cat rupert knows when im upset.

I was crying once because i was so stressed and rupert jumped on my lap put his little paw where my heart is a meowed i don't know if it was just a coincident but i just hugged him for ages after that.

I love this about dogs, I'm not much good at confiding in humans when I feel crappy and I really don't appreciate being touched but its been a very crappy few months here with lots of tears and distress. Buster always comes and sits quietly beside me, or shoves his head into me and demands I hold onto him. Mac tries to crawl into my lap and Quinn doesn't really know what all the fuss is about.

Buster knows me back to front, he knows when to get in my face and when to just sit near me and be present.

Awww it's so nice to love and be loved by a pet.

My rottweiler has always been protective of me and will comfort anyone in the family who's not feeling well but now that I'm pregnant he is my shadow, much more protective of me, poor hubby can't hug me without Hugo coming to investigate that everything is cool, he sits as close as possible to me always and comes to smell/inspect the belly every day, he will even guard the bathroom when I'm in the bath and if I duck my head under he freaks out! He's so cute!! and we all love him so much!!!

my dogs all seem to sense when I feel sad.

the most amazing time was when I had my little Daisy, a maltese RIP. She was so hyperactive and uncontrollable if she didn't get her daily walk. However I had a car accident and for four days couldn't move off the couch. She did not move from my side for those four days, didn't ask for anything, just laid there. On the fifth day I was feeling a little better, on that day she went back to her normal hyperactive state :thumbsup:

My rottweiler has always been protective of me and will comfort anyone in the family who's not feeling well but now that I'm pregnant he is my shadow, much more protective of me, poor hubby can't hug me without Hugo coming to investigate that everything is cool, he sits as close as possible to me always and comes to smell/inspect the belly every day, he will even guard the bathroom when I'm in the bath and if I duck my head under he freaks out! He's so cute!! and we all love him so much!!!

I told Grumpy off yesterday for not minding me when I was in the shower. I said it wasn't the little girl's job to mind me, it was his. This morning, there he was outside the bathroom. Good boy, Grumpy!

I have just had ankle surgery and am more than a little miserable. The dogs are all being more careful getting on and off the bed, and my eldest girl has not left the room. She has done the same when I have had surgery in the past.

They are a pain in the butt to get around with crutches, and have knocked my cast a few times while walking past but as soon as they do they jump back and sit. Lucky they look so cute and distressed, it usually takes my mind of the extra pain!!! I haven't been left without a doggie protector since I arrived home!

I told Grumpy off yesterday for not minding me when I was in the shower. I said it wasn't the little girl's job to mind me, it was his. This morning, there he was outside the bathroom. Good boy, Grumpy!

Haha it's so funny how they do that Hugo will stand on attention like a little soldier in front of the shower/bath facing the door... little privacy doesn't hurt... makes me feel safe!