Aarrggghhh - Baby Blue Tongues

jazzy4

question - how many babies do blue tongues have??????

we have a blue tongue that lives between my house and the neighbours on each side, it has had babies in my yard, problem is mum has done a runner to the neighbours & left her babies in the yard - SOMEWHERE!!!!!!

since last sunday our two dogs have found 5, that we know of.

they have attacked them, punctured their skins, broken their backs, we take them to the vet - as advised by wires, & they have put them down,

what i want to know is how many babies do they have????

we don't know where exactly in the yard they are coming from, we have searched & searched but can't find them, then low & behold the dogs start barking and i go out and find them tossing the poor blue tongue in the air & these are the ones we know about, as somedays i have not been home all day & god only knows how many they get then.

i know we can't stop them from doing this as it is a dogs instinct to catch & eat, but i just want to know how many more are there????

They can have 12-14 babies or just 2.

The mothers give birth and the babies are left to themselves to survive.

Mums have even been known to eat their own young. :love:

The best you can do is to create lots of hiding holes for the babies that they can hide from the dogs.

Old terracotta pipes half hidden into the ground are good or piles of rocks.

If you see any babies, move them to a safer place away for the dogs.

They can have 12-14 babies or just 2.

The mothers give birth and the babies are left to themselves to survive.

Mums have even been known to eat their own young. :love:

The best you can do is to create lots of hiding holes for the babies that they can hide from the dogs.

Old terracotta pipes half hidden into the ground are good or piles of rocks.

If you see any babies, move them to a safer place away for the dogs.

we are thinking the are in a garden area, where they are protected, it is when they come out that they get into trouble, or could also be under a cement slab that is a shed, there is cavities under it as it was were mice & snakes used to hide in my chook pen! we don't see the babies till it is too late, the dogs dont attack the mum - they just bark at her, but the babies they atttack,

our grass is kept really short - cause of snakes, and as a result when the blue tongues go wandering they are caught