Best Contemporary Puppy/dog Training Resource?

MarkB

I've had dogs for 30 of my 38 years, but the last 8 have been without a canine companion. My partner and I have recently begun to search for a pound puppy/dog, and I've just realised it’s been over 20 years since I have trained a puppy!

So, time for me to learn how to train again. What is the best contemporary resource for learning how to train a puppy or dog? Fingers crossed that it’s a book, but links and DVD recommendations also appreciated.

I'd second the dog star daily one and Ian Dunbar (site founder) has written heaps of books if you prefer a book.

And I'd add this one

All things Susan Garrett

http://susangarrettdogagility.com/

She has put links at the bottom of the blog page to other excellent trainers and the Say Yes site has her books and DVDs.

Crate games is the "beginner" DVD. I'm currently reading "Shaping Success" which is about how to train agility equiment but also how to manage an extremely excitable dog with reward based training.

Don't worry about it being Agility focussed - pay attention to the methods.

You may also want to find some books on "learning theory" or the science of learning. Which explains about reward based training and the disadvantages of aversive based training ie why "correcting" your dog may not have the desired effect.

I've had dogs for 30 of my 38 years, but the last 8 have been without a canine companion. My partner and I have recently begun to search for a pound puppy/dog, and I've just realised it’s been over 20 years since I have trained a puppy!

So, time for me to learn how to train again. What is the best contemporary resource for learning how to train a puppy or dog? Fingers crossed that it’s a book, but links and DVD recommendations also appreciated.

Have a look at the Leerburg website. Heaps of information - articles and podcasts, and some great DVDs, especially the Michael Ellis ones.