Whats The Best Collar And Lead?

Sooky

Charlie: cheapo collar and leash from a $2 shop (he was really tiny). When he got bigger, we changed to Rogz collar (martingale and flat collar). His leash is one I bought at a random place. The clasp is small, tight and won't break. Also, the leash is light. Looking into getting him a proper leather, buckled collar for him though.

Emmy: Rogz flat collar. K9pro martingale collar (for training). Ruffwear harness. As for the leash, I don't know the brand but I looked around for a leash with a really good clasp, that I know won't break or get lose, but at the same time it won't be heavy or big that when i use a flat collar on it, it would be too heavy either.

For a GSD... I would use a buckle collar :laugh:

As for the leash... as long as the clasp is secure and strong, it really doesn't matter what leash you use.

I liked a soft martingale for Orbit as a puppy - being young and silly he would occasionally have little tantrums on a walk where he'd suddenly stop and pull backwards, so a martingale worked well there is it couldn't really slip off

We like the Rogz collar and lead sets :laugh: Heaps of nice colours and patterns to chose from and they are adjustable enough to last awhile. I especially like that the collars are designed to keep the pressure off the buckle, which is the weakest point.

IMG_9990.jpg

We use the same for our BC, he actually still has the same collar as when he was a puppy - it still fits with plenty of room, we where worried since we have bought 2 other collars but he just paws at them with his hind leg and wont stop still his original one is returned, but the vet and dog trainers says there is ample room (can fit four fingers under it and they say its on right if you can fit 2 or 3)

I have a rogz martingale on Bonne, ( but pink of course :laugh: ), i have flat ones on the other 2 ,but she has a habit of stopping too, and flat ones slip over her head.

However, i did learn my lesson when i left it on at home, and she laid down next to a wrought iron table with twirly bits on, sat up, got the ring caught on a loop on the table and nearly stangled herself dragging the table around :eek:

I use leather custom made leads on mine, love them.

Ot, but how gorgeous are GSD pups! ( especially ish's ones)

Edited by juice

This is a slightly older pup (15 weeks or so) with the Rogz chain martingale collar

Thats the type of collar I've had on previous dogs and really like them so think I'll go for something like that, thanks ish (especially for another gorgeous pic :happydance2: )

Ot, but how gorgeous are GSD pups! ( especially ish's ones)

Agree 100% :happydance2:

• 1 month later...

post-39437-1302173495_thumb.jpg

When we got Crash he was 9 months old and had doing the show circuit . He had been trained to pull on a lead and when we put him on a collar and lead he tried to tow us everywhere . We took him to obedience class and the instructor told us to try a "gentle leader " .He now walks without pulling and is totally controlled .

• 4 months later...

We like the Rogz collar and lead sets :thumbsup: Heaps of nice colours and patterns to chose from and they are adjustable enough to last awhile. I especially like that the collars are designed to keep the pressure off the buckle, which is the weakest point.

Was this an adult size collar (if so, which size) or one of the puppy collars?

For Walking, my pups (large breed as you can see ;) ) I use:

A martingale collar (Premier,Lupineor Country Brook Design). These collars are very adjustable and they fit a Pyr pup pretty much from the beginning until fully grown - no need for new collars. They last well too - I have some that are over 15 years old and look almost as good as the day I got them despite being used regularly. I like them so much I have them in my puppy packs.

A double lead of some kind. My favourite are from Rogz or the mountain rope ones (callicoma has them). Again, same lead I use as an adult.

post-5072-0-70124300-1313272981_thumb.jpg

Edited by espinay2