Exercising Puppy

Lisey

Hi,

Just after some advice - when can I start taking my 16 week Stafford for walks and how long should they be for? I know that while they are still growing they need to take it easy.. Is a 15 minute walk around the block too much? She is fully vaccinated and ready to explore!

Edited by Lisey

15 minutes should be fine, I think the general rule is 5 minutes for every one month of age- so a 4 month old could get up to 20 minutes.

This rule applies to forced exercise such as leash walking where the pup can't stop if they want to. Though some puppies never know when to stop and have to be forced to retire or take rests during free play (like my pup).

Did your breeder give you an exercise sheet?

I'm pretty sure she would have to be forced to have a rest! She is a bundle of energy and I don't want her to do too much too soon.

I'm sure my breeder did give me a sheet - I received a lot of information - will check through my folder :happydance2:

Mine all had short walks and free play off leash from the time I got them (8 weeks)

Have you have your pup to puppy school yet? Early socialization is great for puppys.

Got any pics?

My 4 month old JRT goes for a walk every day, I think its around 4-5 kms. Most of it he is offlead (big oval/parkway) and can rest when he wants to (which he does)...

If we dont take him on a walk for one day, he lets us know he isnt happy!!!! (Usually by stealing asnd hiding my socks)

My 4 month old JRT goes for a walk every day, I think its around 4-5 kms. Most of it he is offlead (big oval/parkway) and can rest when he wants to (which he does)...

If we dont take him on a walk for one day, he lets us know he isnt happy!!!! (Usually by stealing asnd hiding my socks)

That is way too long a walk for a 4mth old pup :thumbsup:

That is way too long a walk for a 4mth old pup :cheer:

hmm.. Ok I really do have my distances wrong.. I just measured on google maps, the walk we take him on is 1km each way, through an oval and a spillway.. (Where on earth did I get 4-5 from????)

Most of that is offlead (except for the road parts, where he is on lead) so he can wander, stop drop and roll as much as he wants.

He loves his walks!

The vet recommended a minute for each week of age - so at 15 weeks, we were doing a 15 min walk and now at just over a year, we generally go around 45mins - 1 hour. (we take it leisurely though at times, as we have small dogs....so they sniff every bush, rock, tree, dog and person on the way down to the park .... go nuts for a short time and then come home and sleep! (Cavaliers sleep over 80% of the day)

:(:)

Sorry to hijiack but I had to ask: How much exercise does an adult dog need? Does a large dog need more than a small dog?

Totally depends on the dog!

What breed is the dog?

I wouldn't necessarily sya a large breed needs more than a small breed.

For example, Greyhounds generally don't need much exercise and jack russells need A LOT of exercise!

Sorry to hijiack but I had to ask: How much exercise does an adult dog need? Does a large dog need more than a small dog?

Totally depends on the dog!

What breed is the dog?

I wouldn't necessarily sya a large breed needs more than a small breed.

For example, Greyhounds generally don't need much exercise and jack russells need A LOT of exercise!

Hmm I have a Westie x and a Maltese x. It seems that my Maltese x runs a lot faster (and a lot more) than my Westie x :rofl:

I was reading a blog where the dogs (toy dogs) get 22 to 30km walk&jog per week :) I'm definitely not exercising my dogs that much :)