Demodectic Mange

larns

HI,

My beautiful Roxy has demodectic Mange, discovered late because the vet I was going to kept telling me not to worry about the bits of hair and bare skin she was developing. Finally last week I drove her to the next town and went to their vet. She has it pretty well developed and the vet put her on Ivomec increasing doses till 6ml/day and also Demedex washes once a week, the first of which we did yesterday (awful stuff). She has also taken her off her diet and put her on Hills for large puppies. I feel awful and so depressed that my poor gorgeous Roxy is having to go through this, she isn't very active at the moment but I think that is because of all the medicines I am hitting her with. I will also today be purchasing Vitamin C,E and A as well as Evening Primrose tablets to help her immune system. I have been researching this condition widely and really want to make sure we get it all sorted this time.

I suppose I am posting this for some encouragement, support and advice on what is best for my beautiful girl.

:o:o

larns,

Hi!

Honey Demodex Mange can be beaten! I know we have done it!

The mange comes generally from a poor immunity & stressful situations can cause a dog to relapse quite severly (even a long car trip can do this) we found that out with major who went from localised demodex that was getting better on Ivomectin to severe generalised demodex after a rushed interstate trip. (I wish I had taken photos at the start but I didnt) however he lost 80% of his fur, it had gotten to the stage that he had a staph infection as well due to the mange. I felt so sorry for him :o

Now his last treatment was in December & he is beautiful again!.

To improve his immunity we focused on T cell or Thymus boosting, and did this with vegies & foods that target these areas, as well as getting a supplement for this called Transfer Factor Plus ($103.00 for 90 tablets) which I bought thru a health food supplier. We also threw away the ivomectin as it wasnt working :) and did some research & our vets got onto a relatively new product from Pfizer called Dectomect Injections (I think thats what it was called, will check when at vets today & let you know). It was a once a week injection for 8 weeks then fortnightly then mthly it is charged by body weight so for us it was around $10/ needle. We also did the weekly rinses. To help keep it at bay we were going to keep the treatment up for 12 mths on mthly injections as it can reoccur at juvenille age... but Bayer Advocate's rep on their last visit guaranteed that Advocate will now help control Demodex Mange as well as Sarcoptic (the packaging hasnt been changed yet) once it has been treated.

Every dog has the mite it just depends on their immunity as to how it breaks out if it ever does, also dogs that have demodex break out should never be bred from. So if you focus on boosting the immunity it will help, things like flax seed oil, sardine, Omega Oils etc will also help.

If you want a copy of all the info I have on it then PM me your email addy & I will send it to you.

It can be beaten! :o

So keep positive.

Jacqui

Hi all,

Just got Roxy back from the vet and she has a secondary skin condition so is now on antibiotics as well. She is also doubling her intake of Ivomec each day until 6mls. Otherwise continue the treatment. She is still continuing to get more spots but that will most likely disappear soon.

Thanks for the support and advice given.

Demodectic Mange

The term mange is often over used when describing skin problems in dogs. True mange in dogs is generally due to one of two mites found in the skin: Demodex and Sarcoptes. This article deals with the former.

It important to realise that the Demodex mite is a normal inhabitant of a dog’s hair follicle and therefore lives in harmony with the host. When the mite causes disease it appears to be due to the host failing to regulate the mite numbers rather than the fault of the mite. As the multiplies within the follicle damage occurs and the hair falls out. This will appear as patches of thinning hair or hair loss. In young dogs it is often seen around the eyes and other parts of the face, under the neck and on the front legs.

The causes of juvenile-onset generalised demodex infection is still not well understood.

Any factor that causes stress is thought to predispose to outbreaks as well. It was once thought that an immune deficiency was involved, but this theory has lost support in the past few years. It seems now that the mites, when in numbers, can cause immune suppression which will stop the condition from resolving.

Adult-onset Demodex seems to be associated with concurrent systemic diseases. Many studies indicate the dogs hormonal status may have some influence on mite numbers.

If we see an adult dog with Demodectic mange that doesn’t respond to treatment we often need to do further tests to look for other problems.

What we do know is that there is still a lot to learn.

As far as treatment goes, we do know is that we have to address the mite if we are to see any clinical resolution of the problem. Besides the mites there is usually secondary skin infections which will require antibiotic therapy and/or medicated shampoo. Certain shampoos are useful to flush the hair follicle to allow better penetration of the mite killing rinses. Each case will be treated differently but often require repeat skin scrapings to assess the response to the particular treatment chosen.

ALSO MORE INFO

Demodectic Mange Mite

It is also found in cats, rabbits and guinea pigs and other species.

Generally they can not cross from one species of animal to another.

The Demodectic mange mite lives deep in the skin and is probably found in many species but is not normally a problem unless the animal in unhealthy and so has poor resistance or immunity. It is fairly common in young dogs causing pimples and sometimes slight irritation which he will usually grow out of. Sometimes however it can spread and cause irritation and infection by bacteria may follow.

PUPPY – Demodex Mange – Has pustles in her genital area, under her arms, inbetween her legs, lesions on her back and she is constantly biting. Her apetite is still good, she plays all day long and sleeps all night, the only problem is her skin condition.

Mite Demodex Folliculorum - 2 types (a) & (b)

(a) Squamous Type.

Clinical signs:

Hair follicles are attacked by mites, hair soon falls out giving a bald appearance generally over a wide area of skin, although smaller areas may also be affected. Corrugation of the skin is the outcome together with dryness and scaliness while a bluish discoloration develops over the care patches. Pruritus is generally absent.

(b) Pustular Type.

Clinical signs:

In this form the hair follicles become the seat of small pustules most often seen around the mouth, outer elbow and hock and in the axillary region. Extension of lesions leads to the development of small fistulae which secrete pustular material.

Having had a puppy bitch many years ago with this problem, which developed after being treated for Juvenile Cellulitis, I feel I should tell you she recovered beautifully after treatment, and went on to gain her Championship in style, and mothered three beautiful litters of puppies none of which developed any problems with immune problems, nor have their progeny.

Good Luck and chin up.

Dianne

Iarns,

I also want to let you know that dogs can recover beautifully from this condition :noidea: My beautiful girl, Zayda (the blondie in my avatar), has severe allergies and had terrible generalised demodex..... We worked really hard and got everything under control: now she is in beautiful condition and has been healthy for 2 of her 3 years of life......

She has recovered so well that the vets are all amazed: our dermatologist uses her as a case study of severe skin problems and how well a dog can recover (esp. with the determination and care of loving owners)....

What breed of dog is roxy? Good Luck..... :(

Dan

Thank you for your encouragement, Roxy is only 5 months old and has been through a bit in her short life. Dan, she is meant to be a mastiffxLab, but we aren't really sure. There are new patches appearing but the old ones seem to be looking better too. At least she doesn't mind the medicine too much.

Thanks again.

Larns

I saw a dog with quite severe Demodex today - and have seen several cured cases for rechecks in the last couple of weeks. It certainly can be resolved but it take times so try not to feel dishearted if things seem to be taking a while. I think one of the biggest reasons that some cases don't resolve is not treating aggressively enough or for long enough (1-2 months past a negative scrape), or not controlling the secondary infections.

I know that Demadex (the amitraz wash) is the only registered treatment but IMHO I would reserve it for cases that don't respond to anything else, just because it's the least pleasant and most toxic of all the treatment option. For those that are using it, you may as well not use it if you aren't clipping the coat off very short.

Good luck with it all Larns - a large dose of TLC and I reckon you'll be well on your way :thumbsup:

Thanks,

Lots of TLC that is of course when she isn't learning how to become a delinquent (sp?). Jumping, hyperactive, spitting out her medication is the newest one. So much to love. All she has to do is look at me with those big brown eyes and I go all mushy anyway. Thanks for the support and advice, hopefully we are on our way to recovering and not getting any worse.

larns

My adopted dog Jemma also had a shocking case of Demodectic Mange. It got worse before it got better.

She was on Ivermectin, and it took some months for it to disappear. The vet was amazed at the improvement in her. She now has a beautiful coat and is in excellent condition.

Keep persevering!!

Thank you for your encouragement, Roxy is only 5 months old and has been through a bit in her short life.  Dan, she is meant to be a mastiffxLab, but we aren't really sure.  There are new patches appearing but the old ones seem to be looking better too.  At least she doesn't mind the medicine too much.

Thanks again.

Larns

*sigh* She sounds like my poor Zayda..... Some pups live a whole life time of troubles in a short few months don't they??

It took us almost a year to sort out all Zayda's problems and get her system in balance.... so it can take a while, but once you are there it is so worth it ;)

A lot of vets don't seem to conversant on demodetic mange, so it doens't surprise me that your vet wasn't worried..... Keep an eye on her for the immune problems (like allergies) that dogs with DM often have/develop.... A lot of vets aren't too good at spotting allergies either!!

I'd love to see some photos of Roxy's face.... I'm sure she's a pretty girl!

Dan

Edited by zayda_asher

Hi guys I have a 5 month old staffy that has the mange problem. Our vet is treating him with Ivomectin injections every 2 weeks (we live in the outback of SA and he only comes fortnightly) although Tilk seems to be improving his sister is very bad. I feed him mainly fresh meat, chicken wings and Advance biscuits. Where can I get the dip from that some of you are talking about.

Pene - I think in your case it might be easier if discussed giving oral ivermectin to your dogs. Fortnightly doses isn't going to do anything rapidly, but a daily dose of ivermectin will help. He would only need to work out the correct increasing dosage scheme and supply you with a dosing syringe and some ivermecting each fortnight....

We had a lot of cases treated successfully with injections, once a week over 6 weeks, I also have a file on hard drive about Demodectic Mange, if you are interested, PM with your email address and I will send it to you.

All dogs are born with Demodectic Mite, but it is in times of stress, eg: when pups are going through fast growth rates, their immunity levels drop and the mite, in some dogs will become a problem.

I have also a friend who uses Revolution, monthly as a preventative for one of her dogs, who is suspectable to D.M problems

Edited by holly

Hi,

Well Roxy is just starting to get better, she is growing some hair back, even in places that she didn't have it to start with. I might end up with a really hairy dog yet! She is learning to hate her medication no matter what treat I give her to make it nicer so hopefully we don't have to give it to her for much longer.

She is turning into the active naughty puppy that she always has been, gotta love her. Thanks for all the encouragement I think we are well on our way.

Larns

P.S. the photo is before the mange took hold.

post-22-1108932628.jpg

Edited by larns

Pene,

Hi, if you pm me your email addy I will send you all info I sent larns :laugh: , We used a specific pfizer injection called Dectomax Injections which was for 6-8 weeks injected weekly to attack the mites & then graduated to fortnightly & then mthly. I would speak to your vet about seeing if there is someone who can administer an injection for you on the weeks he isnt there. I found better results with the dectomax, but it worked magnificently when administered weekly.We now control any possible relapses with Bayer Advocate.

Jacqui

• 6 months later...

Hi All.

My little boy, Bozo, has just been diagnosed with generalised Demodex.

He is an Australian Bulldog who is 16 weeks old and has been through a hard run in his short life!

He caught Parvo a few weeks ago and recovered extremely fast, the vet wasnt too positive about his condition (not our normal vet) and caused us undue torment. Anyway he was out of hospital in 3 days!!!

He was back to his normal self and had just finished his 5 day course of antibiotics, when I noticed slight hair loss, which looked like insect bites. So I wasnt too concerned, I started moisturising his patches with a mix of Sorbaline base with Lavender oil, tea tree oil and eucalyptus oil. This stopped any itching.

I stopped this after 2 days and the patches started again...I took him to our regular vet and she did skin scrapings and confirmed it was Demodex generalised form...We were so disheartened as Bozo was going to be our stud dog...Anyway I expressed my concerns to the vet about breeding him, and she asked all sorts of questions about his parentage, and health etc.

After she had discussed the case with interstate vets, we got some really good news!!! We can still breed with Bozo, as his Demodex is due to having a low immune system, due to the Parvo...So long as it has healed and skin scraping come back negative by the time he is 9 months old!

She also told me that my use of the cream helped him alot, so you can imagine how I felt, really pleased with myself!

He is being treated with fortnightly doses of Advocate, 10 day course of Antibiotics and medicated baths! He has been on treatment for 5 days now and his face has cleared up immensley!!! And the areas on his body have gone down aswell...So it looks really positive for him, which is so good!!!

His diet consists of Supercoat Puppy dry and Pal Puppy (for the moisture content) also some chicken mince! The only natural supplement is the sorbaline and oils which are applied twice daily.

He is such a beautiful little fellow...The picture added was before the demodex.

All the best!

post-22-1124580501.jpg

post-22-1124580501.jpg