Having The House Sprayed

Kelly_Louise

Due to a roach/ant/spider problem, I've ran out of options and looks like we will need to have our house sprayed. My husband HATES chemicals of any kind, and we've never used them before in our house.

We have chosen the plant based spray, which I believe is safer (still contains other chemicals as well).

Is it safe? I will keep Sasha away for 5 or so hours... but I just want to know it's safe to proceed. I'm sure lots of others have it done.

Also, I'm trying to fall pregnant - would this be safe? I won't be here when the spraying occurs I will also be away for 5ish hours... but if there are any concerns over safety I'd rather not do it.

Thoughts please?

Edited by Kelly_Louise

When I was young we use to have the house sprayed once a year and the two dogs never had any problem from it. That was the 80s and cant think in this PC/OHS/etc age that the chemicals would be any worse than they were then. BUt then I spray around skirting boards and door frames a few times a year with surface spray and to solve any spider inside issues.

Just as long as you stay away for the few hours to let it all dry and I think we use to open the windows on return for a few hours to 'air out' the house.

Ihave mine sprayed every year, i put the dogs in the garage while he does outside, then let them straight out.

Never had any problems, i always use the same guy, the house is dripping from the roof ,and he sprays in the roof and inside too. :laugh:

Guest Willow

With regards to the spraying whilst trying to fall pregnant....I was actually having this conversation with Blab this morning! :) We're trying for another bub, and are having an awful drama with whitetails in the house. I was going to use a bug bomb, under duress....I loathe chemicals. Blab suggested that she personally wouldn't use one, and suggested that spraying the skirting boards etc would be a way to reduce exposure, if I felt it absolutely necessary to treat the house, but I beleive she recommends coming into contact with as few chemicals as humanly possible when you're trying for a baby or pregnant.

I also spoke to a pest guy, who said the chemicals they use would be safe for use in a house with a pregnant lady.

I guess you have to weigh up the problem the insects are causing versus the concern you may have over exposure to chemicals whilst pregnant.

With regards to the spraying whilst trying to fall pregnant....I was actually having this conversation with Blab this morning! :) We're trying for another bub, and are having an awful drama with whitetails in the house. I was going to use a bug bomb, under duress....I loathe chemicals. Blab suggested that she personally wouldn't use one, and suggested that spraying the skirting boards etc would be a way to reduce exposure, if I felt it absolutely necessary to treat the house, but I beleive she recommends coming into contact with as few chemicals as humanly possible when you're trying for a baby or pregnant.

I also spoke to a pest guy, who said the chemicals they use would be safe for use in a house with a pregnant lady.

I guess you have to weigh up the problem the insects are causing versus the concern you may have over exposure to chemicals whilst pregnant.

Yeah that's my concern... the weighing up. Even the safer version scares me. That said though, waking up and shuffling into the kitchen at 6am to find 4 cockroaches and a million ants is also rather scary (and more than a little annoying). We generally also have white tails and some redbacks and some other scary looking spiders, but mainly on the outside of the house. We do however have so many daddy long legs all over the place that they are rather annoying too. I try to vacuum them up and their babies, but the next day they're all back again...

With winter coming I'm wondering if maybe I should delay until the warmer season hits again and just bear with it...

It's a tough one.

Thanks for your advice and opinions guys :)

It does really work, i know when i am due as coakroach's start to appear, and we get alot of spiders, white tips, and redbacks.

I couldn't go without it now, but i did try a different company once when i moved, and they were rubbish, so its worth paying for a proper job. :)