Puppies New Toy - Tiger Snake!

jazzy4

watching tv & heard the dogs bark, went out to check - thinking they had another baby blue tounge, but not this time, got there in time to see the tail dissapear behind the bushes, it popped out the other side - YEP tiger snake :hug: ,

they were trying to catch it :)

about 3-4 foot long, locked the dogs away & went to sort out this intruder,

are better ways to spend the day other than this

had actually though the weather was not to their liking now, no where near as hot as it has been, gone all summer and not seen any - although that only means i have not seen them does not mean they have not been here!!

it has been 5 hours & no signs of anything,

they are the luckiest dogs in the world i think, can not work out why this snake did not attack them

it was fairly agitated as it went me more than once

so glad the dogs are fine

i honestly thought we were out of snake season as the weather here has not been that hot

Tiger snakes don't hibernate like most other species...they may be a bit quieter in the winter months. I was once told by a vet that anything bitten before Xmas has a much lower chance of survival. Glad your dogs are ok...phew!

they are the luckiest dogs in the world i think, can not work out why this snake did not attack them

i honestly thought we were out of snake season as the weather here has not been that hot

Tiger snakes don't hibernate like most other species...they may be a bit quieter in the winter months. I was once told by a vet that anything bitten before Xmas has a much lower chance of survival. Glad your dogs are ok...phew!

We did some indigenous training for work and one of the trainers told us that when the native orange plants are flowering around Perth, the venom is more potent and survival is less (most are out before christmas) - now whenever I see orange native flowers all I think about is poisonous snakes!

Edited by CareyJ

oh no - i honestly thought they only came out in the warm weather, now i know they can come out in winter does not fill my with any confidence

Yep! When the Xmas trees (orange native ?) are flowering watch out for the snakes...also when the kangaroo paws first come out is snake season.

We did some indigenous training for work and one of the trainers told us that when the native orange plants are flowering around Perth, the venom is more potent and survival is less (most are out before christmas) - now whenever I see orange native flowers all I think about is poisonous snakes!

Tigers are rather agressive and will chase. Glad your dogs are fine!

that's what i thought so i can't work out why they did not get bitten, i am dumb founded about it actually, they had it only for a few min but i think cause it was against the fence behind some bushes, maybe when it rared at them, the dogs were behind the bushes & the snake could not reach them - this seems the only reason i can think of that they did not get bit, lucky i went out when i did though, as it went in to a clearing and could have gotten them

i had a tiger go me last yr, walking in the back yard to put away the chooks & almost put my foot on it & it went me rared up & everything,

they are doing well, i know that if they had be bitten it would be showing by now, but i am still checking them as it has scared the crap out of me & has got me so worried

Edited by jazzy4

Our most recent snake bite was through a cool spell last week, tiger snake vs horse. Very unusual to see one active down here in that weather.

was the horse alright??? hope so

He did really well, probably helps being a big ass QH.. Not sure how he was at first treatment as he had initial care with primary vet and was referred to us for ongoing, but by the time he arrived his worst issue was antivenom reaction, already resolving when he pulled up. Went home 3 days later, got to say I dont envy the owners keeping him quiet though, he was 'champing at the bit' by the time he left!

Our most recent snake bite was through a cool spell last week, tiger snake vs horse. Very unusual to see one active down here in that weather.

was the horse alright??? hope so

He did really well, probably helps being a big ass QH.. Not sure how he was at first treatment as he had initial care with primary vet and was referred to us for ongoing, but by the time he arrived his worst issue was antivenom reaction, already resolving when he pulled up. Went home 3 days later, got to say I dont envy the owners keeping him quiet though, he was 'champing at the bit' by the time he left!

glad to hear all went well for the horse

the dogs are fine this morning, think they are very very lucky indeed :laugh: