Gawd I Hate Irresponsible Dog Owners

poochmad

Yesterday I was in the backyard when I heard some whining and looked over our fence only to be surprised to see 3 puppies, between 5 - 6 weeks of age. Our house backs onto a laneway, which then backs on to a road (although not very busy) so naturally I was very concerned.

The owner of the puppies lives at the end of the lane, which can be seen from our back fence who have an agressive (already reported to the council by numerous people) bob tailed blue heeler. As a response from the council they now have a high gate to keep the dogs in (whereas before they would just leave it open to let the dogs wander as they pleased), however at that time it was open. From my spot I could see other similar aged puppies running around that could just as easily walk down the laneway. For 10 mins I stood there with the pups (hanging over the back fence) and calling to them so they stayed with me, waiting for the owner to come and close the gate, but no one appeared.

So I bundled the puppies up and went to the front of the house to return them, only to discover that they must have bred their Jack Russells as well, as there were also little pups running around inside the house. The mother said that her husband had just got home and he must have left the gate open. I said that they were in the laneway and I was worried about them getting run over. She said thanks and took them and when I got home the gate was closed and the puppy was gone. However, looking up at the gate, I noticed a fence paling that had come down, that the pups could easily climb through.

I have to say I'm surprised to see pups from this blue heeler bitch again, as not so long ago she had pups and I remember seeing her recently with her big teats and I just naturally thought that she hadn't bounced back from the last litter, but am now sad to discover that she's had another litter straight after the last one. As mean as she is (and she's horrid), I can't help but feeling sorry for her.

These people are very well known in the community and have a really large backyard, complete with horses (that they train for people), multiple undesexed dogs and chooks that roam free up and down the laneway (the dogs and chooks, not the horses) and drive everyone nuts with their dogs. Their mentality is much of the old-school farmer and since they've been here for a very long time, act as though the it's ok to allow their animals to roam free. However, this is slowly being changed with more people (from Canberra, I live in Goulburn) moving to the neighbourhood.

I'm such a softie that last night I kept worrying about them and keep checking the back gate to see whether they had appeared.

I do so wish that everyone else was as responsible as us. :laugh:

I know what you mean about the mentality of allowing dogs to roam here. There are quite a few people living in and around my street that think it is fine to let their dogs out for a wander around :laugh: Mostly these dogs are friendly, but I always worry that they may get run over or something else could happen to them :cry: I particularly worry about a shar pei female that I see wandering around now and again, have not yet been able to discover exactly where she lives, but have seen her a few times over the past few years looking like she had pups (large teats). One day I was at home in my front room and heard a noise that sounded like puppies outside my front door. I got up and went to have a look, just in time to see the shar pei mum disappearing down the street and around a corner with about 4 or 5 puppies following along behind. I just stood there gobsmacked! Its one thing to let your adult dog wander, but puppies! Especially in Goulburn which is known to be a very high risk area for parvo :cry:

ETA I didn't chase after mum and pups, probably should have. I have reported roaming dogs once that were causing problems, and didnt see them for a week or two, but they were soon back on the street. I usually dont bother reporting dogs roaming because there are too many, I will only call the rangers if there is an issue.

Edited by Daisy

Guest Willow

Oh, I hear you!!! People who live in our town are mostly pretty good (It's the visitors who cause issues) but one neighbour has a serial escape artist, and the sons answer to the problem? "Let him wander...what could happen to him here???" :(

Ummm......let me think....

Get picked up & stolen

Get taken to the pound

Eat rat or snail bait from someones shed

Get run over

Eat something that's been baited with 1080 just out of town

Get into a fight

Get shot

A lo of people have no concept of responsible dog ownership......they think their responsibility ends at making sure the dog has food & water.

I keep letting other peoples stupid, unethical, irresponsible dog owning ways affect my every day life and feelings...I am at the point where I do not know if I can live around people anymore.. GRR

Poor little pups and poor overbred bitch... they make me sick...