Maltese Owners Help

A question for maltese owners and/or vet nurses on here :laugh:

my sisters dog a little maltese x pomeranien x poodle has just been diagnosed with a joint issue she was told is common in the maltese breed.

apparently his left or right, cant remember which foot front foot, has a weak joint at the ankle? and apparently at any time (could be this year or 10 years) this joint is going to collapse. He said the dog will not be in any pain but that he will then begin to wear a brace on that foot, to keep it upright (surgery is an option, but expensive)

now she had him enrolled in agility to start next week (she is pulling out now) but my thoughts were the jumping at agility could cause the collapse to happen sooner? would i be right, if she was to want to do agility could he wear the brace now before it were to collapse?

anyone had any experience with this?

See an animal chiro! They arent all born with problems therefore its specific to that dog and the dogs that it does happen to. Pinched nerves, out of alignment, means they change the way they walk due to pain, end up with muscle wastage and their front feet turn east west (facing outwards). If you see a good chiro, nerves are released, dog is put in alignment and no operation needed! Been there done that

• 2 weeks later...

My little Maltese x had a pain in the hand and we brought him to the vets to check for cruciates. Asked the vet if they were prone to joint pains and the like and she said not more so than any other breed. Hope that helps a little?

Another issue is that a lot of BYBs use malteses and perhaps it's just an issue of bad breeding... but in any case yes get it checked at a chiro. Does it really matter if it's a fault common in the breed?

no it doesnt really matter miny, but our vet said it was :thumbsup: i guess its not that common then :(

thanx for the info though, our vet is a qualified chiropracter too :( so i trust him, it just seemed a weird issue but one of concern as my sister is worried now that his leg is going to collapse :)