Certificate For Puppies Flying

mini girl

Just talking to a breeder friend of mine and she told me you now need a signed vetinary certificate for pups to fly - have never needed this in the past - I have 4 pups to fly at 9 weeks interstate from Brisbane first week in April - I always use Dogtainers - spoke to them this week and got the quotes but they never mentioned anything about a certificate from the vet - will ring them in the morning but thought someone may know if this is correct.

The certificates are required for qantas flights, Virgin don't require them. I showed them my vet certificate from their 6 week check up (which was done at 7 weeks, so a week before they flew) with their microchip numbers and name on with their birth date as they require proof of age, and pedigree papers with name and birth date and microchip number on. They photo copied everything and accepted that. I wasn't about to go back to vets a week after their check up and pay for 10 puppies to have another check. You will have to ring dogtainers and find out who they are flying with.

Just an update

Sent a puppy to Melbourne from Brisbane today by Virgin Dogtainers - arrived safe and sound - did not ask for any certificate at all.

I spoke to Dogtainers on Friday when paying for the flight for today -Sunday and they said its coming in as a rule 1st May - but Qantas freight may ask for it now - having my last pup going by Qantas next Saturday done - will take him to the vet when I get his mother immunised this week.

Thought this may be helpful to anyone flying puppies. Do you know if there is a special form to be signed or is it just a note from the vet.

Yes there is a form that needs to be signed, you can print it off and sign it before you get there. If not they have copies available when you lodge them.

Shippers Statement Is Here

One thing I have found out is that if you are flying with your dog on Qantas, and you require a LARGE Pet Pack, you now need to book it on through AAE not Qantas anymore. Apparently they have different computer software nowadays, and if you book with Qantas over the phone, it wont show up on AAE computers. Small and Medium pet packs are ok to be booked through Qantas if you lodge them in the terminal.

Found this out when we went to the airport at 5am with a dog for lodgement and she wasnt in their system :laugh:

Luckily there was no other dogs booked in, so we were ok. But once we landed we had to book her in at AAE for the return flight!!

We were asked for the Shippers statement on the way there, but on the way back the guy at AAE said he wasnt interested and didnt need it...