Other Ways To Transport Puppy Home By Car Other Then A Crate?

Nadine83

I'd put her in the harness too and have someone sit in the back. Even when you have your wagon, she's still going to have to learn to be harnessed, so you might as well start now. We didn't harness train our boy from the start... and boy did that cause problems down the track, and it took ages for him to settle.. but now he loves it.

Why would you harness a dog in a wagon ? :) In a wagon they just go behind the cargo barrier or in a crate. No need for a harness at all.

I don't like harnesses for babies because the only puppy I have ever bred that got carsick was one that was put straight into a harness. I started borrowing her to take to shows and she was fine in my wagon, so I suggested that owners try her for a few months without the harness and she instantly stopped getting carsick. After a few months they re-inroduced the harness with no problem.

If there is any way possible to put a crate into your back seat, do so for this long trip home, even if it means buying a smaller plastic airline crate and selling it once the puppy grows out of it. It will be a much more pleasant trip for everyone.

It would have to be the smallest Golden retriever to fit into a cat cage

Just sit in the back encourage to sleep on th efloor if it curls up with human no big deal

I agree with showdog. If there are two of you going to get your new puppy then why can't one of you drive and the other nurse the puppy, or sit in the back and encourage it to sleep on the seat/floor on a towel. Most puppies will just sleep for the trip, especially if in human contact.

Yep I would definately nurse the pup, will be wanting lots of reassurance!

Remember it will be a big adventure for the pup.... :)

I put a harness and carried both my dogs when I brought them home as puppies on my lap with plenty of towels while my OH drove the car on a 2 hour drive. We did the same when my sister brought her puppy home on a 6 hour drive. I think the puppies love the human contact, settle down easily and the relationship starts with a great bond.

Bit different for us, because Bandit was 8 months (and 30kg!) when we picked him up a few weeks ago.

However, we have a wagon, but no cargo barrier yet (when we transport Elly, we lay 1/2 the backseat down and popped her in a harness and she just laid down and snoozed the 3 hour trip when we moved. When we picked Bandit up, he had already been driven 90min and we meet them at a Maccas car park. The harness was too big, so we put Bandit in the boot and attached the lead to an anchor point in the boot. He pulled and tugged and struggled. We pulled over and took him off the lead and he laid down and slept in the boot the rest of the trip home (with the occasion kiss on the back of the neck for me :laugh: .)

We will have to get a second harness for Bandit now. Though having both of them in the boot tied up on harnesses could end up lots of tangled dogs LOL! Will be interesting to see how they go once we start obedience school and are taking them both in the car. It is only a 5min drive. Each afternoon when I get home, I put them both in the boot of my car (also a wagon) to reverse down the drive. Bandit tends to jump over and get in the passenger seat and sit up in the passenger seat looking out the window LOL When we moved recently, only a less than 10min drive, Elly was a bit distressed about the movement and not knowing what was going on, so the best way to keep her calm, was that I took her in my car for each trip back and forth between the houses. Because my car was packed each load for moving she sat in the front seat (with a seat belt on) but she is very well behaved in the car and she just sat there and looked out. If were a longer trip though, I wouldn't have risked her in the front seat.