Taping Ears

It's a Malinois pup, her dad also has floppy ears but not as bad, mum and sister have straight ears

Missymoo what kind of glue do you use? I'm going to tape them like you suggest, I tried to make a 'brace' for them with some card but it kept coming off. Fold and tape it is, she's pretty good.

I used to use Breathrite nose strips available from the chemist. I would clean the skin well, dry it and then apply the strip vertically followed by some plain cotton medical tape.

I also used to use glue but it came from the States and I don't remember the name.

See how you go!

Cairo1

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

yeah pity she's not a Stafford or I'd have no worries :) her ear set has flopped to the sides too it's pretty bad so I have to try something. Never seen a shep with such crappy ears before we hope it's not something she passes down to her pups down the track.

She will pass that quite serious fault on to any progeny so may as well have her speyed now or return her to the breeder if you are not happy.

I did it simply because they were not flopped foreward, they were actually flopped to the sides which was blocking her ability to hear properly, especially since the bases were weak too. I also wanted to make sure she had air flow getting in there to prevent rubbish being stuck in there.

Ya purely for educational purposes :laugh: she will be 12 months old next month

DSC_0198.jpg

DSC_0199.jpg

She's got 'fly away' ears and by the looks of it they have 'creased' where they fold.....so that, plus her age, its too late to tape them as they won't come up now. If you are not going to show her or breed with her...then don't worry. She looks cute and they give her face that 'naughty up to mischief' expression.

Boy! has she got muscles on her ! Nice to see a well muscled dog.

Edited by Tapferhund

I was completely unaware that dogs could have softer ear leather thus stopping them from becoming erect -- I'd always just assumed that ears would stick up naturally if the breed is supposed to have sticky-uppy ears.

I've only ever had Aussie Terriers who have huge sticky-uppy "bat ears" as I like to call them. It makes for some serious cuteness having ears way too big for the head and it's interesting watching them in their growth stages. One day the left ear can stick up then the next day the other one is sticking up!

Zeus's ears on the other hand ... when his flap in the wind and get stuck pointing in the air it looks hilarious! I also love when he's got "inside out" ears! :laugh:

Kirah and her "bat ears" at 8 weeks! :D

post-21435-0-24960800-1315823370_thumb.jpgpost-21435-0-46416900-1315823397_thumb.jpg

Tapf serious as in adversely affects the health of the dog long term or is it just a cosmetic fault.

Considering her lines are not within 'show' standards anyway I'm not writing off a high end working dog unless her health scores come back less then perfect.

yeah no chubby dogs here at Casa de Nekhbet :laugh: That photo was taken a couple of days ago, she's just turned 11 months old.

Edited by Nekhbet