Some Basset Hound Questions

Lillynix

Hey everyone,

I am a lover of Basset Hounds, especially since we had one when I was in my teens, we adopted an old (around 9yrs) and blind (eyes removed due to glaucoma) basset named Becky. She was simply divine and have loved the breed ever since.

IMAG0897.jpg

However, I don't actually know a great deal about dealing with younger basset dogs/pups, so am wondering if anyone could give me an idea on whether they'd suit our yard and lifestyle?

We're not overly active people in terms of going for long walks.

We have 3 young children, 4, 3 and 1 and hope for one more in the next 18 months.

We have a slightly bigger than average sized yard, but with mainly waist high picket fences (we live in the country).

It gets pretty chilly in winter, though a dog would be allowed inside and have shelter outside.

I stay at home with our children so a dog would be very rarely left alone except for short shopping outings.

So i'm wondering if a basset would be suitable for a young family with small children (and a cat!), be okay with the fence height (I would assume so given bassets are so short?), are okay without a walk every day instead happy playing in the yard with us to burn off any energy and would be okay with just basic obedience training?

Edited by Lillynix

I find my Basset easy to live with but I have no small children. Ours does get exposure to my neighbours kids and gets along fine with them. The one thing to watch with small children is that the basset is a perfect height for sitting on and their backs can be damaged. I do know of a breeder of Bassets with small children and she swears by them with children. My guy would be fine with fences that high as long as they are sturdy, they tend to bulldoze through things rather then go over.My guy would not cope with being outside by himself if we were inside, they like to be with their family. He is happy outside when we are not home but we have 3 other dogs as well. He does not seem to feel the cold but he sleeps inside in winter (well all year round).

They can be barkers and suffer from separation anxiety, get your puppy used to being left alone from when young. A Basset baying because he is lonely will upset neighbours even if they are miles away, it is a sound that carries. Mine will also bark if he is happy, excited, sad, unsure...well you get the picture. It is something we have to stay on top of constantly.

Mine gets about 45 mins of walking a day, but his behavior does not deteriorate if he does not get walked. I have managed with lots of patience to get my boy to play fetch so on non walk days we do this.

We have 4 cats and have had no problems. Jester walks past the cats with his eyes closed. Not sure if this is to pretend they are not there or to protect his eyes if they do have a swipe.

We have not done any formal training bar the basics, he knows sit and drop and sometimes if he is concentrating stay. He has learnt though what is acceptable and what is not just by repetition. Ours really thrives on routine, he likes to know where he should be at what time. Toilet training did not take too long and he was able to have free run of the house fairly early on, with hardly any accidents. He sleeps in the family room separated from the bedrooms by a baby gate and is happy with that.

Anything else you would like to know just ask.

PS Thought I should just add, Bassets have a distinct hound smell..not sure how to describe it, its not unpleasent but they do need good grooming so your house does not end up smelling like ḧound¨

Edited by BJ.

Hi there,

Dont know too much about Basset Hounds but I did some research and came across this website for you :) I will paste the link but also paste the details because I did want to highlight some things for you! :)

http://www.burkesbackyard.com.au/factsheet...sset-Hounds/993

Breed: Basset Hound

Temperament: docile, loyal, stubborn

Cost: $600

Lifespan: average 12 years

Recommended for: families and older couples

Dumpage rate: medium

Maintenance: medium

Appearance

The Basset is a short legged, deep voiced pack hound with a long, powerful body. Its head is similar to the bloodhound, with a long narrow skull slightly shorter than the generously lipped muzzle. The dogs are characterised by their loose skin and low-set ears which hang in folds. Bassets have well boned forelegs, and angulated hind legs which finish with large feet. The tail is carried upright. Basset hounds are tricoloured (white, black and brown), lemon (pale lemon and white), red and white, and blank red (solid red with a speck of white on the tail tip and feet). On rare occasions white Bassets occur. Bassets are medium sized, usually reaching between 33-38cm.

Temperament

Basset Hounds are a gentle and loyal breed but they can be quite stubborn. They are not a particularly playful breed and have a low level of excitability and general activity. The Basset Hound is not particularly territorial, nor does it have the tendency to snap at children. The Basset Hound is therefore ideal for anyone who is searching for a dog that is neither active, excitable or aggressive.

Health and lifespan

The conformation of the Basset Hound leads to a number of inherent problems, the most common being shoulder and foreleg lameness. Bassets can also suffer back strain and slipped discs, therefore climbing stairs and overeating should be avoided because these activities can put extra strain on the spine. Basset Hounds should be picked up correctly with one hand under the chest and the other supporting the rear end to avoid strain on the spine and front legs.

The Bassets ears and eyes are prone to infection and must be regularly checked and cleaned. The long ears can droop into food and if moist, will become infected. The Basset's loose-lidded eyes predisposes the breed to entropion (inversion of the eyelids) and ectropion (excess drooping of the eyelids). Weepy eyes need to be bathed with warm water to prevent excessive accumulation of dirt and dust. Bassets need time to digest their food before exercising otherwise they can experience problems with bloat.

The Basset Hound lives between 11-14 years.

Feeding

Bassets are not big eaters but should be fed a balanced diet of meat, vegetables and pasta and good quality biscuits. Basset puppies should not be given too much exercise and should have a balanced diet (the diet should not be overloaded with calcium and other extras which will cause abnormal growth). In its old age the Basset enjoys its food and if allowed can become fat and lazy. Breeders estimate it costs between $7 and $10 a week to feed a Basset Hound.

Breeding and cost

Basset Hounds have difficulty breeding and require assistance with mating. They can be slow whelpers and generally have large litters (7 to 12 with an average number of 9). Caesarean sections are routine. Breeders recommend only those with experience try to breed Bassets. Basset hounds cost around $600 depending on the supply of the dogs. Prospective owners may have to join a waiting list for a pup.

Housepet potential

When it comes to house training the Basset Hound presents quite a challenge. More patience and attention to housebreaking technique is required for the Basset than with most other breeds. Between winter and spring they shed their winter coat and can leave hair around the house.

[you said the dog could be inside sometimes - that's fine - my two GSD are mostly inside dogs as well but they shed like crazy so remember to vacuum! :)]

Space and exercise

Despite their short stature, Bassets are not recommended for the inner city dweller. They need a good sized yard and at least 30 minutes of exercise a day. Basset need to be kept in a securely fenced back yard because they have no road-sense.

Ideal owner

Basset Hounds are people oriented dogs so ideal owners need time to give their dog attention. They are particularly suited to families or an older couple who will take them on slow walks.

[you said you arent very active but slow walks im sure would be doable?]

Grooming

Regular grooming of the Basset's short coat will keep the coat in good condition. A grooming routine should also include wiping the dog over to remove loose hair, clipping and filing nails, cleaning eyes and ears and a regular bath.

History

The Basset Hound is a scent hound. There is considerable debate about the origins of the Basset Hound. Some experts claim it is the result of a cross between the Bloodhound and the Beagle, while others say it was a mutation found in a litter of Stag hounds. Another theory is that the Basset is a descendant of the old St Hubert hounds. The British landed gentry reportedly used Bassets when hunting on foot because its short legs and steady gait made it possible to keep pace whereas other hounds had to be followed on horseback. The name Basset is actually derived from the French word bas, meaning low. The Basset was first introduced into Australia in the early 1900's.

Uses

Basset Hounds were used to trail and drive game such as rabbits and hares. The unhurried conduct of the breed in the fields made it possible to move game to gun without startling the game into flight. Today, Bassets make excellent family pets and companions. Due to the low level of aggression of this breed, they do not make good protectors of home and property.

Trainability

The Basset Hound can be difficult to train because of its stubborn nature. Owners should insist on discipline and training from an early age to maintain firm control over their hound. The Basset is a scent hound and can be trained to do tracking work.

Thank you for the replies, many things to consider :)

I remember the hound smell and the bark quite well from our old dog, she was a stinky one if she went too long between baths and her bark was really deep and low, but so loud it was still ear piercing, it was certainly a new experience!

The fences are sturdy and mostly blocked by sheds or rose bushes, it's really only the gate that would be easy access for ramming :)

We're not looking to get a puppy any time soon so we have plenty of time to research and think, I just thought it would be good to start thinking what breed would best suit us.

I think BB might be a bit out with the cost of a bassett hound

When I made enquiries they were from $1500 upwards and that was last year

I also was told by my vet not to go near them with a barge pole because they have massive health problems. Now I have no idea whether that is true or not but it may be something you may want to discuss with your own vet.

Thanks Leelaa, she was absolutely gorgeous and despite her lack of eyes, her face was full of expression, you could tell when she was raising her eyebrows at you :laugh: and she would still run from outside, up the back steps and to her food bowl as soon as she hear the can opener, ahh such a funny sight seeing a blind dog, eyebrows raised and running :)

Oh Becky was divine. I don think you will find that their is a lot of difference between older adults and younger ones, you just have to set the boundaries in their teen years. We have builders here today and the dogs have been locked in all day except for wee breaks and my Basset is handling it the best. As long as he has company and a comfy lounge he is happy.

I think BB might be a bit out with the cost of a bassett hound

When I made enquiries they were from $1500 upwards and that was last year

I also was told by my vet not to go near them with a barge pole because they have massive health problems. Now I have no idea whether that is true or not but it may be something you may want to discuss with your own vet.

The last litter I saw advertised around here was $1200.00 a pup, so I think that BB article is fairly old.

When I take my boy to the vet they go over him with a fine tooth comb, they always seem disappointed when they cannot find anything. Ears need to be looked after and we have had one ear infection here this summer, our first in nearly 4 years and I think it was that we had a humid summer and the conditions were just right. I think in humid climates you would need to be on the ball with ear cleaning every day just to be safe. Eyes also need to be cleaned daily just to stop any irritants causing problems. Entropian can be a problem so that needs to be discussed with your breeder, from memory of discussing with my vet the operation to correct this was around $300.00. A fit healthy basset should not have any skeletal issues, its important not to give into those big brown eyes and overfeed, monitor the jumping on and off high lounges etc as this puts a lot of weight through their shoulders which can lead to arthritis. A basset would be happy to lay around all day and turn into a big pile of goo, if he gets exercise and develops some muscle structure to support his frame he is much less likely to have problems later. Just like any other large breed really, they are a big dog they just have short legs.