Kibble Storage

Lab_Rat

I store out dog kibble in a plastic screw top container, have done for a number of years. Today I discovered that weevils have moved in!! I have found grubs and beetles in the container, as well as the frass they leave behind :) They have also moved into my container of almonds, bloody critters!!!

Ive never had a weevil problem before and am wondering if its been the looooong, hhhhoooooottttt summer weve had!

What do others use to store kibble?? I thought my screw top lid would keep the buggers out, but obviously not!

I store out dog kibble in a plastic screw top container, have done for a number of years. Today I discovered that weevils have moved in!! I have found grubs and beetles in the container, as well as the frass they leave behind :) They have also moved into my container of almonds, bloody critters!!!

Ive never had a weevil problem before and am wondering if its been the looooong, hhhhoooooottttt summer weve had!

What do others use to store kibble?? I thought my screw top lid would keep the buggers out, but obviously not!

Bummer about the weevils. Perhaps they were already in there. :cheers:

I store mine in a 20L wheelie bin until I open the bags and then in plastic containers in the pantry.

How big are the bags of kibble? If you freeze the stuff overnight it kills the weevils. Then you can just store as normal.

Im about halfway through a 20 kg bag.......might divvy it up and freeze it bit by bit!!! Ive had weevils in other things before but not dog food!!! and ive been buying the same brand for a few years too!! probably weather related id say!

:laugh: Im sure the dogs wont mind the added protein, but geez the little buggers make a mess!!!