Book Recommendations - Structure And Fitness

Hello.

Could anyone please recommend me some books or other resources about the importance of structure and what it means for physical activity in dogs and also just about general fitness. I popped this thread in here because I thought it may be a subject of interest for the performance/show folk...

Thanks. :)

Edit for dreadful spelling

Edited by Henrietta

I saw a book on Amazon about one week ago, when I was ordering another book. I nearly purchased this other book - it was about structure and movement, I think. I'll pop back to Amazon and see if I can re-trace my steps to finding it.

I saw a book on Amazon about one week ago, when I was ordering another book. I nearly purchased this other book - it was about structure and movement, I think. I'll pop back to Amazon and see if I can re-trace my steps to finding it.

Thank you, Erny. When I buy books from Amazon/Dogwise I am in danger of coming away with more than intended, but it is fun to make wish lists too. :)

Here's the link to the book I looked at. I don't have any info on it nor am I familiar with the author, so I can't endorse it, but it did look interesting which is why I mused about the possibility of purchasing it.

Structure in Action

Thanks again, Erny. It looks really good. I searched Dogwise as well, because sometimes they have the 'Dig in' function and you can see the contents page and sample pages.

http://www.dogwise.com/ItemDetails.cfm?ID=DAN125 Linky to Pat Hastings - Structure in Action

Edited by Henrietta

Check out "The Book Depository" as well. They don't always have the books that Amazon and Dogwise have, although they often do. I find them generally cheaper and there's no postage costs either.

Depends a lot on the breed and what you want it to to do.

The book "Dog Steps" by Rachel Page Elliot, and also her video, are well worth a look for a general overview and the video includes xrayed movement on a treadmill that is very educational.

If you asked me about my breed, I would suggest this video, which provides a good example of how the lighter galloping sighthounds move in a skeletal animation at 1 min 45 seconds. The importance of their flexibility really shows up when you see the animation.

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/episodes/do...dy-saluki/1326/

OTOH, if you asked me about Great Danes, I would suggest you talk to a Great Dane person. Likewise any other breed. In short, there isn't a single source for this kind of thing but I would start with Dog Steps. Then I would go to the classic working material for your breed.

Thanks SSM, that video was very interesting. I was surprised about the heart - 1/3 bigger than an average heart. :thumbsup:

I'm really just at the stage of wanting to know the absolute basics before branching out into any specific breed knowledge and truth be told, I don't have a 'breed' yet. I know absolutely nothing about structure, function and movement.

I will definitely look into 'Dog Steps'.

Thanks Erny, I will check out the Book Depository