Working For Rspca

colliehound

Hello DOL'ers.

I know RSPCA are not too popular on here - but - I am going to ask anyway.

I have also done a couple of searches and not found anything - so apologies if this type of thread already exists.

Anyway - to the point - I am looking at a job with RSPCA. It is way way less money than I am hoping for, but I feel strongly about doing something that matters.......

and I am very unhappy where I am.............

Anyone able to talk me into - or out of it?

In particular if anyone knows about the type of training you get (or not), the type of employer they are, flexibility - that sort of thing? Any staff discounts for vet care, adoptions, events??

thanks

Colliehound

I am one of the people who has very strong negative views on the RSPCA.

Having said that, as long as you go in with your eyes open, then why not.

The RSPCA needs to change.....and change from within is a great place to start.

I know that you are looking to be trained and to learn, but you can also teach if you have the right attitude.

Some of my best staff were those who knew "nothing" about the job..... but the attitude they brought with them taught much to the other staff members.

Good luck

Thank you - you mention change..........

Would that be things like - move to work life balance, training of managers, strong rules/regs applied equally that sort of thing?

thanks

Colliehound

I am one of the people who has very strong negative views on the RSPCA.

Having said that, as long as you go in with your eyes open, then why not.

The RSPCA needs to change.....and change from within is a great place to start.

I know that you are looking to be trained and to learn, but you can also teach if you have the right attitude.

Some of my best staff were those who knew "nothing" about the job..... but the attitude they brought with them taught much to the other staff members.

Good luck

Which state are you in? I think that would make a difference as while it is a national organisation each state is run differently so it's probably most useful to get information relevant to the state you are in. I do some casual paid work and also some volunteering for them, so can give you a little info about Vic if that's where you are.

Hi PME

That is interesting, so each state seems to be run it's own way.......hmmmm

I am in QLD. Did you feel you were treated well as an employee? What would you have changed?

Thanks

Colliehound

Which state are you in? I think that would make a difference as while it is a national organisation each state is run differently so it's probably most useful to get information relevant to the state you are in. I do some casual paid work and also some volunteering for them, so can give you a little info about Vic if that's where you are.

I can't say what it is like now.. and these are only observations but there seemed to be a bit of unhappiness with the animal attendants and shelter and even veterinary staff I worked with at RSPCA, no one seemed to stay in the role very long. Towards the end it seemed to improve and they actually started taking on people who were qualified for the job and seemed to be more passionate about it. Conversely people in admin seemed to stay in the roles for a longer time... perhaps were looked after better? I'm not sure.

Hi PME

That is interesting, so each state seems to be run it's own way.......hmmmm

I am in QLD. Did you feel you were treated well as an employee? What would you have changed?

Thanks

Colliehound

As an employee, treated exceptionally well - but that can have a lot to do with the personalities of the people in the area you are working. In terms of pay/conditions/provision of services I would say they are better than some places I have done some work. I do get discounts on the purchase of food, toys, supplies not sure if you get vet discounts (I live too far away to be taking my animals there for vet treatment). A lot of the issues I've seen on DOL I would suggest are policy issues and things that many employees do not have control over but have to work within - almost all of the people I work with do not 100% agree with all RSPCA policy and do what they can to petition change from within and often do express frustration at having to work within some of the policies (so I would certainly suggest looking into the policies within your state and figuring out if you are prepared to work within them). That being said sometimes you don't agree with the policy but the animals who are in the care there still need people who genuinely care about them to provide the best they can for them in their time there (and that is certainly what all the people I know are focussed on). As for training, I know down here that has been an issue that is being addressed and again the training depends on the department you're working in (so difficult to make an overall comment).

But would be good for you to find someone in your state who can give you the inside word there!