Wine And Dine Before Getting In The Mood

Sue

Are my dogs just weird or do other dogs do the same. They refuse to show any interest in having sex until after they have eaten a big tea and are put out on the front lawn to frolic. An empty stomach and the back lawn just will not do it.

It was embarrassing today as I invited a fellow breeder down early this afternoon. She had never seen a natural mating take place. So I made her a coffee and we sat in the lounge watching the dogs on the front lawn – who showed absolutely no interest in doing it. New neighbours moved in today with a huge male huntaway. He ambled over to the fence and my little girl went all googly eyed and wanted HIM. Obviously bigger is better. My boy lost his mojo and went off to sulk.

So I put both my dogs away and said goodbye to my friend. The sun went down and I feed the dogs their tea. The neighbours went inside taking their dog with them. I let my little full bellied critters out again and walla right in front of the fence of course. And what should come wandering back outside to watch over the proceedings, yep the huntaway. I quietly threatened it with a surgical procedure involving rusty loppers and it toddled off. So I got to sit in the dark beside the fence supervising the tie. The neighbours must be ruing the day day they signed their lease!

God I hope the fencer arrives tomorrow and replaces the chicken netting with the solid wooden one I’m paying for.

Thats hilarious! Thanks for the laugh :thumbsup:

My dogs are not so fussy, but my boy does need a good gee up to get going if he has already had a mating with the bitch. First time he is all over it, but he looses interest for subsequent matings. I guess he feels his job is already done. :D

Thats a fantastic story Sue. Cant say mine are so fussy, however this time around, my bitch only wanted to be mated in her yard, not the back yard or the front yard, just her own yard. Maybe she likes her creature comforts around her!!

:) Well mine aren't that abnormal then, thank doggy for that! They have mated day 9, 10 and 11 and now he isn't interested anymore. A bit concerning considering she is still teasing the poor huntaway - oh and believe me I am out there watching her like a hawk when she is toileting. Any opportunity she gets she rushes to the fence and gives him the come on.

But thinking back my old bullie girl would flirt like mad for the entire time she was in season, way past any conception/ovulation time, so maybe they are both husseys. :)

Oh the joys of being a dog breeder.