Off Lead Park Etiquette

MuckyPug

Don't take him to the dog park.

It sucks but there are plenty of idiot owners out there who cannont control their dogs ( large and small ) and those who have the " he just wants to play" attitude.

Can I ask, is Max's reaction to these dogs "normal" or should he be taught to tolerate them? I'm just worried that he is the one with the problem, not them, iykwim.

I also suggest dont go to that park anymore....stick to Pugwood. Max is reacting like a typical Pug, and if you put him in that situation too often he could be asking for a fight. You have to remember that Max thinks he is as big as a Rotti and he will stand up for himself if pushed too far by a big dog.

Somehow I doubt that. Max tried to remove himself from these dogs. He couldn't. If flight wasn't an option, he didn't have many others..

So now you claim to know more than I do about my breed. :sick:

:confused: Are you serious with that comment.

My Pugs certainly don't think they are big Rottweilers and they will not all stand up for themselves if pushed.... and if want to talk experience Shazza......

Obviously the OP knows their own Pug.

Shazzapug ... I know what you are saying "multum in parvo" - big dog in little body. Max is not scared of big dogs ... he runs up to them all macho and sniff sniff. And once he's sniffed, he moved on .... but he was definitely intimidated by these bigger dogs and he definitely took the 'fight' option because he had tried flight and it didn't work for him. He's not our first pug (and more certainly won't be our last .. I could easily become the crazy pug lady if left to my own devices, hubby keeps that in check!) and I do get his personality and nature ..... he doesn't like to have dogs right in his face.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It sucks but there are plenty of idiot owners out there who cannont control their dogs ( large and small ) and those who have the " he just wants to play" attitude.

Can I ask, is Max's reaction to these dogs "normal" or should he be taught to tolerate them? I'm just worried that he is the one with the problem, not them, iykwim.

I also suggest dont go to that park anymore....stick to Pugwood. Max is reacting like a typical Pug, and if you put him in that situation too often he could be asking for a fight. You have to remember that Max thinks he is as big as a Rotti and he will stand up for himself if pushed too far by a big dog.

Somehow I doubt that. Max tried to remove himself from these dogs. He couldn't. If flight wasn't an option, he didn't have many others..

So now you claim to know more than I do about my breed. :love:

My Pugs certainly don't think they are big Rottweilers and they will not all stand up for themselves if pushed.... and if want to talk experience Shazza......Obviously the OP knows their own Pug.

Whatever you say Anne....I'd like a dollar for every time I hear "he thinks he's a Rottweiler" followed by :sick:

So now you claim to know more than I do about my breed. :sick:

My Pugs certainly don't think they are big Rottweilers and they will not all stand up for themselves if pushed.... and if want to talk experience Shazza......

Shazzapug ... I know what you are saying "multum in parvo" - big dog in little body. Max is not scared of big dogs ... he runs up to them all macho and sniff sniff. And once he's sniffed, he moved on .... but he was definitely intimidated by these bigger dogs and he definitely took the 'fight' option because he had tried flight and it didn't work for him. He's not our first pug (and more certainly won't be our last .. I could easily become the crazy pug lady if left to my own devices, hubby keeps that in check!) and I do get his personality and nature ..... he doesn't like to have dogs right in his face.

So your also a breeder?

So now you claim to know more than I do about my breed. :laugh:

So your also a breeder?

Im sorry but I have to do this....

*you're.

There is another thread on here about grammar skills. im sorry. :sick::love::(

So now you claim to know more than I do about my breed. ;)

:sick: Are you serious with that comment.

So your also a breeder?

Im sorry but I have to do this....

*you're.

There is another thread on here about grammar skills. im sorry. :love::(:laugh:

:(:confused:

hahahaha it isn't a big deal - it was just so funny that there was a thread put on here yesterday about how no one can spell properley anymore (including me a lot of the time!! And im a journalist so I HAVE to get it right! lolololol) and then she goes and says your by accident. its so funny. :confused:

hahahaha it isn't a big deal - it was just so funny that there was a thread put on here yesterday about how no one can spell properley anymore (including me a lot of the time!! And im a journalist so I HAVE to get it right! lolololol) and then she goes and says your by accident. its so funny. :confused:

*properly hahahahaha

*properly hahahahaha

That's called Kamah!!

i'm an editor :sick:

My grammar is terrible!!

*properly hahahahaha

That's called Kamah!!

or is it called Karma ??

hahahaha it isn't a big deal - it was just so funny that there was a thread put on here yesterday about how no one can spell properley anymore (including me a lot of the time!! And im a journalist so I HAVE to get it right! lolololol) and then she goes and says your by accident. its so funny. :sick:

*properly hahahahaha

That's called Kamah!!

or is it called Karma ??

:love: Probably :confused:

hahahaha it isn't a big deal - it was just so funny that there was a thread put on here yesterday about how no one can spell properley anymore (including me a lot of the time!! And im a journalist so I HAVE to get it right! lolololol) and then she goes and says your by accident. its so funny. :sick:

*properly hahahahaha

That's called Kamah!!

or is it called Karma ??

:love: Probably :confused:

hahaha - I thought you'd done in on purpose. or purposely. or to trick us.

oh I don't care.

*properly hahahahaha

That's called Kamah!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH omg!!!!!!!!!

And yes it is KARMA! LOL

we're all stupid today aren't we! LOL

at least we lightened up the post! hahahahahaha

I know! It was a really simple question .... but it had potential to get quite heated.

I got my answers, and that's great. Thanks to everyone who offered advice, and reassurance that he's not a crazed, pug-I gone-wild, attack dog.

I will keep you updated with our progress, or alternatives :confused:

Edited by MuckyPug

I know! It was a really simple question .... but it had potential to get quite heated.

I got my answers, and that's great. Thanks to everyone who offered advice, and reassurance that he's not a crazed, pug-I gone-wild, attack dog.

I will keep you updated with our progress, or alternatives :confused:

By the way welcome to DOL, this has been an entertaining thread! Have you got any pics of your boy?

Well I've read through this thread and it's taken some interesting tangents... I would be all for the idea of a segrated dog park - my dog (a large doberman) has enjoyed playing well with a few small dogs, but for the most part, the big and the small dogs keep to themselves and although my dog ignores small dogs unless they instigate play, it's not really something I'm comfortable with. Fact is, even when he's on his best behaviour, the little dogs can get knocked over or whacked by his giant paw and they're so tiny he can hurt them without even meaning to.

My dog is very friendly, but when he's at the dog park he does like to go up and sniff everyone (though he's happy for them to sniff him too), and on occasion, the small dogs snap instantly at him. In these instances, he just jumps back and looks at me, I tell him it's all ok and lets keep going, and the owners never say anything. If the little dog follows him back to me (or big dog whatever it is), I make sure that if my dog comes to me - which is his way of saying, "I'm not really happy with this", I resolve it before he has to. This just involves standing between the strange dog and my own, and staring them down while my dog just stands at my side slightly behind it - he seems to get it. I don't even bother asking the other owner to do anything - 99% of the time they're completely useless anyway. If I manage to get the dog to look and acknowledge that I own my dog, well I've never had any problems after that, they just keep their distance, and the whole, you don't need to fight I'll take care of you mentality is reinforced for my dog.

I think if my own dog wasn't so large that the only dogs I really fear are staffies/pitbull types (I know it's bad but I feel like he'd come out on top in a fight with just about anything else), I wouldn't be game enough to go to the dog park. I know when I had my sisters' papillons with me, I couldn't relax for a second, so I do understand where little dog owners are coming from, it's just a completely different experience.

I would just avoid the park and stick to less popular areas, especially if you're not looking for dogs for him to play with, only a space to play ball. Or if you're confident enough, start approaching the annoying dogs and claiming your dog off them, if you do it right they won't bother you again (and they remember the next time you visit too) and your dog will look up to you for it and quickly get the idea that you understand him and will look after him.