Kiss-of-life Fireman Saves Dog

Panto

Kiss-of-life fireman saves dog

March 22, 2011

786286-sunny.jpg

A British firefighter has described how he saved a dog's life by giving it mouth-to-mouth resuscitation.

The dog, a mongrel called Sunny, was rescued from a house fire in Hull and passed to Mick Dunn who was on standby to give help to casualties.

Dunn originally thought Sunny was dead but his training took over and he decided to try resuscitating the animal.

Advertisement: Story continues below He said he had never heard of the mouth-to-mouth procedure being used to save the life of any animal.

But Dunn thought it could work equally as well as on humans.

After spending a few minutes trying to resuscitate the dog, he said he saw signs of life.

Dunn said: "When I saw the dog, I thought at first that it had perished in the fire. She didn't appear to be breathing."

The firefighter described how, at this point, he started to use an oxygen mask, which was on hand in case of human casualties.

After 30 minutes of oxygen therapy, the dog recovered, and a vet later gave her the all-clear.

Now Dunn, a dog-owner himself, said he fully expects to be the victim of jokes from friends and colleagues about the unusual rescue.

He said he had already acquired new nicknames like "dog-whisperer" and "dog-snogger".

But the firefighter said it was "all part of our service".

He said he has since been in touch with the dog's owners, Beryl and Ken Honeyball, to check how she is doing.

Mr and Mrs Honeyball were shopping at the time and missed both the fire and Sunny's rescue.

The couple, who are temporarily living with a relatives until the damage caused to their home is repaired, have described Dunn as a hero.

PA

article-1300803900761-0B4517EC00000578-319994_466x635.jpg

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/world/kissoflife-fir...l#ixzz1K7Acu7Kh

I think thats a lovely story! Sad that hes been getting crap for it though. I would hope that someone would do that for my bubs.

Oh ..... I think he'd be taking it in good spirit, just as I think it was intended. :)

Good on the bloke. I agree, Leelaa17 .... heaven please forbid me to find myself and/or my dog in such a situation, but I'd like to think someone might guess how much my dog means to me and be willing to give him the kiss of life if he should need it.

I think thats a lovely story! Sad that hes been getting crap for it though. I would hope that someone would do that for my bubs.

Oh ..... I think he'd be taking it in good spirit, just as I think it was intended. :thumbsup:

Good on the bloke. I agree, Leelaa17 .... heaven please forbid me to find myself and/or my dog in such a situation, but I'd like to think someone might guess how much my dog means to me and be willing to give him the kiss of life if he should need it.

When I did my first aid course many moons ago, the first thing I thought of when they were teaching mouth to mouth was "geez, if I ever had to resuscitate my dog, there's a whole lot more mouth to cover than a human's!" :thumbsup:

Oh ..... I think he'd be taking it in good spirit, just as I think it was intended. :rofl:

When I did my first aid course many moons ago, the first thing I thought of when they were teaching mouth to mouth was "geez, if I ever had to resuscitate my dog, there's a whole lot more mouth to cover than a human's!" :thumbsup:

LOL, hold the mouth closed & breath into the nose.

However, the chest compressions (if the heart has stopped) are generally far more important to get in than the breaths are.

:o

LOL, hold the mouth closed & breath into the nose.

:shrug:

Nose - check.

LOL!!! now that bit of information is safely tucked away... I did think... oh! wet nose! I'm sure it won't even cross my mind at the time, but from the comfort of my seat right now... haha!

I resuscitated my Lhasa Apso bitch about a year or so ago. She had an adverse reaction to a flea spray, and collapsed and stopped breathing. After about 10 seconds of sheer blind panic, something made me check for a pulse inside her thigh, which I found, so I grabbed her, and started breathing in her nose. She came back!

I resuscitated my Lhasa Apso bitch about a year or so ago. She had an adverse reaction to a flea spray, and collapsed and stopped breathing. After about 10 seconds of sheer blind panic, something made me check for a pulse inside her thigh, which I found, so I grabbed her, and started breathing in her nose. She came back!

Well done! I can imagine sheer panic, good thing she came back, what a relieft. Somewhat O/T, but what was the flea-spray? How scary!

How sweet!

I'm going to show my dad this article, he's a retired fireman. His co-workers resuscitated at cat once and he was most disgusted (not a fan on cats due to eating Aus wildlife).

I think if you've got the equipment and the time why not do additional things to serve the community.

That is amazing!!! Good on you for acting so quickly! I probably would've run around in circles not knowing what to do!!

And where did you find the pulse?

That is amazing!!! Good on you for acting so quickly! I probably would've run around in circles not knowing what to do!!

And where did you find the pulse?

Easiest to take the pulse inside the thigh, in the little depression in their groin. It's pretty obvious on a thin dog. You can also take it on the palm of their hand (i.e., where their palm would be if they were human, in that hollow beside their dew claw). You can also feel their heart beat directly on the left side of their sternum, under their left elbow.

Well done! I can imagine sheer panic, good thing she came back, what a relieft. Somewhat O/T, but what was the flea-spray? How scary!

It was Fleatrol Plus. I'd just bathed & dried the two of them, and sprayed them with the spray. I put her down, to do her mother, heard this STRANGE noise behind me, turned around to see her out cold on the floor. I seriously thought she was dead! No way I could have gotten her to a vet in time to do anything, and something made me feel for that pulse. It was one of the most stressful moments of my life, but I am sooooo glad I was able to hold it together to do it.

I did run around in circles thinking OMG OMG OMG shes dead OMG OMG OMG - it felt like ages, but it cannot have been too long as I dont think she suffered any permanent damage due to lack of oxygen.

Yes the pulse inside the thigh - she's a thin dog and it was plain as day. It's right up high in the groin area - its a good idea to know where to find it before you have an emergency situation!

Edited by Rysup

Wow, that's amazing Rysup, well done.

x2

I went straight home and flipped my girl over and looked for this pulse. It was a bit hard to find, and I can't see it, she's so hairy, but I could definitely find the one in the cleft of her paw, so I'll know what to look for now... good tip!

Bril - I've learnt how to resusitate my dog and feel for a pulse from this thread! thanks! :thumbsup: