Vaccination Schedule For Show Puppies... Any Different?

Merrirose

I had a friend who had a 12 week old pup in her first show, and the pup picked up kennel cough, and now has had to been kept at home while it cleared up. This was only a month ago.

No the pup must have been older, you cannot show a dog under 3 calendar months.

12 weeks is 3 months. It was the pups first show she was 12 weeks and 3 days.

52 weeks = 12 months, 26 weeks = 6 months, 13 weeks = 3 months :clap:

I had a friend who had a 12 week old pup in her first show, and the pup picked up kennel cough, and now has had to been kept at home while it cleared up. This was only a month ago.

tommygirl dog show ages work on calender months not weeks.

To enter a show the puppy must be three calender months of age. :clap:

As everyone else has said, 12 weeks is NOT 3 months. And as I said, you cannot show a dog under 3 CALENDAR months. I would be interested to know the pups date of birth and the show date please tommygirl.

ok my bad. I just added the weeks up again, and she was 14 weeks 3 days. I had her DOB wrong. sorry!

Either way, she was up to date with vaccination and got kennel cough, and the only trip out of the house was to her first show.

ok my bad. I just added the weeks up again, and she was 14 weeks 3 days. I had her DOB wrong. sorry!

Either way, she was up to date with vaccination and got kennel cough, and the only trip out of the house was to her first show.

They can still pick up other strains of the virus, than they were vaccinated for.

Its a risk you take.. sometimes with a bad result.

At least its usually more of an inconvenience than a danger to the pup.

Its a risk you take.. sometimes with a bad result.

At least its usually more of an inconvenience than a danger to the pup.

Yes, she seems to be all better now. I have shown my own as soon as possible in baby puppy with no problems, and would do it again... just pointing it out it does happen picking up stuff and the show we went to where she got it from was only a month or so ago now.

Which is why I debate the value of the Kennel Cough vacc - as there are so many strains of it that just covering 2 strains gives a false sense of security. The pup was probably not vaccinated against the strain of KC they caught.

Dogs can pick up viruses from the park, the dog show grounds (which can be frequented by all sorts of dogs in the week preceeding the show, especially at ovals etc), the vets, the local shops, from the dogs that walk past the property etc.