Puppy Has Started To Bark Non-stop In The Car?

Kobi'sDaisy

Our 4 1/2 month Vizsla puppy has been great in the car up until a few weeks ago. We have him harnessed in the back seat and me and my OH are in the front. Lately every time we get into the car he is quite happy and excited to get in there but once we get into the front its barking non-stop. Think it might have to do with him in the back and us in the front as all i have to do is put a hand on the seat next to him and he settles down a little.

We've been reinforcing quiet with clicks and treats but the minute he gets the treat its back to barking again. Any ideas to help this behaviour as he is getting louder and louder (though he sounds more like a seal than a dog!!).

We've tried to get him used to the car from day one and regularly (almost every day) take him somewhere. We drove out to the mountains the other day and he did settle.. after half an hour!!

Hopefully its not a separation thing, he (and his breed) are quite velcro and don't want to encourage too much of the behaviour.

Any ideas?? Or others with experience with the same thing?

Hmmm, it could be over stimulation, especially as he seems excited before getting in the car. Hard not knowing what kind of car you have, but could you try putting him in the car and blocking out the windows that he can see out of (easier in a wagon)? Alternatively crate him and cover the crate with a cotton sheet or light blanket? Or travel him in the footwell (might be a tight squeeze) so he can't see so much.

I'd think it's unlikely to be separation anxiety given you are less than 2 foot from him.

If this doesn't work I'd get a trainer or behaviouralist in quick smart as it sounds like he's well on the way to training you and I imagine you are fed up with the noise. Its also a driving hazard as I wouldn't think the driver can't honestly be totally focused on the traffic with all that barking.

Edited by SmoothieGirl

have someone sit in the back with him and help him settle down. Reward for calm behaviour and redirect any attention to moving objects. Also try giving him some exercise to wear him out a little before he hops in the car :rofl:

Thanks for the reply..

SmoothieGirl overstimulation could be it, but he is not really looking out of the windows or anything really, just focussed on us. Our crate is massive and have no travel one at present so no go and didn't want him at our feet for safety reasons. It is quite hard to focus on driving with a vocal dog!!

Nekhbet good tip about the exercise, usually we are taking him to exercise but a training session before could be good at settling him a little. Was thinking of having one of us in the back but didn't want him to get used to that and then have issues down the road when we go back to the front??

I'm a beginner at all this so thanks so much for the advice! It's such an annoying problem as he's always been so good up until lately! Maybe just another sign of the onset of teenage rebellion? :rofl:

I had a dog that barked constantly. The remedy involved having a lot of time-

I poped him in the car and waited till he shut up. Started it then waited for him to shut up, moved a little, then waited for him to shut up......

Every time he was quiet he got a big reward and treats. I assumed it started because the car always meant exciting places so he got excited. I taught him that you can only go to exciting places when you are quiet :)