Becoming A Dog Trainer. (double Posted From General)

Hi all,

Just a question more specifically for the already 'certified' dog trainers/handlers out there. What qualifications have you obtained and do you need for the industry. I know you don't NEED credentials essentially because everyone labels themselves as a trainer but I mean educationally what qualifications do you have and what do you recommend? What courses have you completed.

I'm studying to become a dog trainer. I have done certificate two, three and now doing cert four companion animal services at tafe (which has a behaviour module etc) but then I'm looking to attend university next year and do animal science. But my friend who is doing that course now says it's a waste of time etc. So I'm wondering is it better I go to uni? Or do some training courses offered by DELTA or private colleges?

What do you think and what have you done?

There has been lots of threads on this in the past so you may find some useful info doing a search.

Cert III Dog Training and Cert IV CAS (Delta provided) would equip you with the knowledge (not necessarily enough hands-on experience) to start your own business in a Training School capacity or to find work with other established businesses. From looking at the non Delta Cert IV CAS I'm not sure how helpful it would be in establishing your own training business. If you really want to be a dog trainer I would make the effort to do the Delta provided course.

Doing Animal Science at Uni equips you to be an Animal Behaviourist but jobs are few and far between. If you have the cash to support yourself through Uni I think you could expect to have to go on to phd study after that.

Edited by Staff'n'Toller

The cert four in companion animal services is very highly looked upon I was told too.

Tafe qualifications are nationally recognised so it doesn't matter. I have at least three years of hands on experience that is not what I need I want the education to back what I'm learning, know so that on paper I can be respected as well.

I have a friend doing the DELTA course by correspondence and she says it's great. Are the cert three and four only provided by DELTA? And say I obtain that and then what? Surely there are more courses?

I pm'd you but AFAIK there is only Uni quals beyond the Cert IV for now.

There is a Diploma you can do but it's recognised in ?Canada only. It's purely theory based and looks great but is exy on top of a Cert III or Cert IV.

Some Delta trainers have gone on to do the Dip.

Even more important is what you achieve with your own dogs. Most well respected trainers started off making their own dog an Obedience Champion or trained with military or detection dogs, so have a proven track record in their ability to train. Achieving success with dogs of different breeds is also important.

Theory is all well and good and everything you learn will make you a better trainer but nothing compares with actually being able to put that theory into practice. Work with as many trainers as you can, pick their brains and look at all training techniques, icluding things like TTouch as well as more trraditional training.

Even more important is what you achieve with your own dogs. Most well respected trainers started off making their own dog an Obedience Champion or trained with military or detection dogs, so have a proven track record in their ability to train. Achieving success with dogs of different breeds is also important.

Theory is all well and good and everything you learn will make you a better trainer but nothing compares with actually being able to put that theory into practice. Work with as many trainers as you can, pick their brains and look at all training techniques, icluding things like TTouch as well as more trraditional training.

To expand on that, I think being a good teacher is just as important. You can have ObCh dogs but if you can't impart the information to adult learners so they can grasp it and use it, and can't keep people enthused, then your dog's achievements become of little consequence to owners having problems with their own dog/s.

To expand on that, I think being a good teacher is just as important. You can have ObCh dogs but if you can't impart the information to adult learners so they can grasp it and use it, and can't keep people enthused, then your dog's achievements become of little consequence to owners having problems with their own dog/s.

Good point. It doesn't matter how much knowledge you have you also need to be able to teach but I still think you need to be able to prove that you can actually do what you are teaching. A good trainer is a combination of knowledge, proven ability and has the gift of being able to teach others.

Thanks for all your help especially you Mel :)

I'll look into the DELTA courses there really isn't a WHOLE lot recognised here in Australia and the ones that are seem very expensive.

Do you guys think it would be better for me to attend uni after completing cert four? And do you think I could possibly complete the DELTA course as well as uni? I know uni qualifies me to be an 'animal behaviourist' do you think the things I will learn there will also equip me as a trainer? Or is it just a waste of time and money?

Uni is what you make of it. You can swan through and learn the theory or you can learn the theory and take every opportunity for practical experience. But if you are really only interested in dog behaviour, I wouldn't bother. I would look at the CASI courses online. They seem like they have a really thorough course content.

Personally, I think a good background in theory is priceless. It helps me everyday and I just keep building and building on it. Every new piece of information fits into that framework and makes sense on a broader scale as well. But it's not really a prerequisite to being a good trainer. If you want to be a behaviourist I think you should do a uni degree. But you might want to consider psychology rather than animal science. I'm not sure what they teach in animal science, but I did zoology and never even heard of learning theory until I left uni and got interested in training. I'm now doing a PhD through the vet science faculty and my project involves a lot of learning theory. My learning theory is almost entirely self-taught and I still know enough to have made up for what I would have been taught if I'd done vet science and then some. Anyway, the main point in doing a degree for becoming a behaviourist is not so much the subject matter as the general skills. Uni teaches you how to learn and sets you up with the skills to judge your information sources critically and apply what you have learnt to everyday situations. It teaches you how to work out what's going on.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Corvus and Cos!

Thanks for the advice so basically UNI is more theory more work less practical? Some of the DELTA course look really great my tafe teacher just completed it she said they killed a million trees sending her the correspondence :p

Well once I do cert four I really want another training outlet because the DELTA courses look really good. Are they all nationally recognied?

Cosmo no trainer to shadow yet but I'll have a look around :) I'm in NSW if anyone wants to offer. :p

So basically what you're saying is it doesnt necessarily mean whats on paper but more what you ca apply practically?

Corvus have you done any other courses?