Diabetes In Rhodesians

Part 2 of the saga "see Luxating Patella in Rhodesians" for background info! :)

How common is diabetes in puppies? I have a 17wk Rhodesian puppy that drinks continually and as a result is constantly peeing. Most obvious at night when we have to keep letting her out but it's every 5-10mins sometimes less (not exaggerating!). During the day we just keep the back door open and she goes out whenever she wants so it's not as noticeable.

She has EVO biscuits for breakfast but has rice/veg/meat/bones for the rest of the day. I'm going to get her tested, but I just thought I'd ask here first. :)

How common is diabetes in puppies? I have a 17wk Rhodesian puppy that drinks continually and as a result is constantly peeing. Most obvious at night when we have to keep letting her out but it's every 5-10mins sometimes less (not exaggerating!). During the day we just keep the back door open and she goes out whenever she wants so it's not as noticeable.

She has EVO biscuits for breakfast but has rice/veg/meat/bones for the rest of the day. I'm going to get her tested, but I just thought I'd ask here first. :)

Take her to a vet. I'd be eliminating a UTI before worrying about diabetes in such a young dog.

I would be getting rid of the rice and vegetables in the diet before I thought of diabetes.

I would be getting rid of the rice and vegetables in the diet before I thought of diabetes.

Why would that be the cause? Both traditional and RAW/BARF vets recommend vegetables.... I've been feeding dogs for 25yrs on veg without these issues before... I'm just curious. :)

Interestingly enough when my pup arrived when she was 12 weeks old she was peeing every 15 minutes, sometimes less, it was pretty crazy, over the following couple of weeks she was able to go longer and longer. I haven't had a pup like that before but had heard of them but it wasn't to do with a health issue persay' in some cases it was the pups bladder taking a bit longer to strengthen and in others the fact that they were raised outdoors and could pee where and whenever they liked made some lazy and if it's a girl puppy you might want to look into UTI as your first priority.

Edited by MEH

Why would that be the cause? Both traditional and RAW/BARF vets recommend vegetables.... I've been feeding dogs for 25yrs on veg without these issues before... I'm just curious. :)

Well if the rice is cooked in salted water it could be causing the increase in drinking and rice is a filler and nothing else.

Vegetables, it depends on how they are prepared. :)