English Pointer

Hi there,

I'm looking at buying an english pointer pup. I have done alot of study on this breed and I feel I am choosing the right dog.

I have previously owned a dobermen, but due to tragic circumstances my dog had to be put down. After many long years with my female dobermen we developed a very strong bond and I was very attached to her. Having this dog from when I was 13 up until I was 20, it has been difficult but i'm finally deciding to buy another pet. I have decided to buy a pointer as they are bred more along the hunting background and also make great family pets. Through my teenage years I taught my last dog to hunt and we spent most of our time in the field as well as a loyal family dog. Now I'm older I hunt ducks and other game birds as well as deer. I also have 2 kids 5 and 7 and would like my dog to be a companion for them as much as myself.

The question is, at first I wanted a female as my last dog was female (desexed), but now thinking things through, I can't decide. Is there any advantages having one or the other. I'm leaning towards a male now because I feel If i was to have a female, it would be a waste of a good dog to get desexed for future ideas may change and may decide to breed a litter, If I don't get desexed then I risk falling pregnant with other dogs.

So are there any helpful info that might steer me one way or the other?

Thanks Cam

I think it's best to find a breeder whose dogs you really like, and then ask the breeder to pick you the best working dog for your situation in the litter, whether it's male or female.

Having said that, if you want to contemplate breeding at some point, you'll need a bitch. Be aware that many breeders will be reluctant to sell you a main register female pup unless you can convince them that you have done your research about the breed and that you're going to do everything right when you breed - full health testing for your bitch, at a minimum - breeding good dogs is pretty complicated and not just a matter of finding a male you like to put over your bitch.

Also be aware that if you have an entire bitch, you might not be able to work her for several weeks every a year when she's in season - not ideal if you really do want a hunting dog. There are drugs that can be used to delay or prevent seasons, but the ones currently available are not particularly safe, and I wouldn't personally touch them with a barge pole. You really do need to be prepared to lock your bitch away from all contact with male dogs when she is in season, and if you can't commit to that, should get a male dog or a desexed bitch.

There are a couple of Field (English) Pointer Breeders in the Breed Section on the Main Dogzonline, best would be talking to them and getting some advice...

From what ive heard makes no difference as long as the dog is willing.

Hello all the best with your search for a pointer. GREAT choice of breed, I have 3 of them as pets. This is off topic and I'm sorry I'm not any help but please please consider carefully if you are thinking of breeding. We are having more and more pointers turning up in shelters that appear to be coming from backyard breeders breeding for field and it's heartbreaking. There is currently a male on the rescue section here. I hope you really enjoy your new pointer puppy when you get him or her,once you have one you'll be hooked !

Edited by darlingdog

Thanks for all the replies. I am currently in contact with a couple of breeders and gaining alot of info as I go. I'm in no rush so I will be researching as much as Possible before I purchase. I would never even consider breeding until I had researched everything thoroughly and knew what I was doing. As for this rescue dog, where can I find the details? Believe it or not my previous Doberman came from a shelter and she was the best dog I ever had. She was handed in at the shelter because she barked to much. She was 6months old and never ever barked for no reason from the day we got her. I would definately be interested in a rescue dog.

That link is to Bruno, a German Shorthaired Pointer, not a Pointer. Of course, I'd say get a GSP instead anyway ;)

You might like to visit the Pointer thread if you haven't already http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/105968-pointers/

I have trained with both male and female Pointers in the field with my GSP and both sexes have had great working dogs. The consideration would come if you can effectively contain a female when in season if you aren't going to desex and if you're preared to potentially lose a month out of a very short game season!!

eta. If you're serious about working your dog, be very careful if you do get a rescue. I am all for rescuing dogs and like you've already experienced they can be the best dogs! However, the reason some/many field bred dogs end up in rescue is due to their unsuitability as a working dog. Gunshyness seems to be a common complaint. That's how it is in GSPs it seems anyway...

Edited by FHRP

Hi,

My suggestion is.......it is now the start of the Pointer and Setter Trial season.......so contact VCA or look on their website for the Field Trial Clubs and contact the Secretaies as to when they are holding training days or either Club Trials or ANKC Trials. This will also give you an idea of how a trial works and puts you into contact with breeders and other trialers.

PS there is a training day and field trial being held in NSW at Barmedman. This is being run by the Pointing Breeds Field Trial Club NSW. The training day is open to all Pointing breeds and the trial is a Club Trial and is also open to all Pointing breed.....ANKC trial are restricted to Setters and Pointers only.

Edited by Showpony

PS there is a training day and field trial being held in NSW at Barmedman. This is being run by the Pointing Breeds Field Trial Club NSW. The training day is open to all Pointing breeds and the trial is a Club Trial and is also open to all Pointing breed.....ANKC trial are restricted to Setters and Pointers only.

Sorry to hijack, but will I see you at Barmedman this weekend Showpony??? :thumbsup:

Hi FHRP

You sure will and I'll be easy to recognise, I'll be the one with the totally out of control 8 month old Orange and White Pointer boy pup....LOL.

Edited by Showpony

Thanks again for more replies and some thread hi-jacking haha. I would definately be interested in watching some other pointers in action. How ever I'm not sure I will be able to make the trials.

After looking through alot of breeders and then deciding that maybe rescue could be as much use to me as well as the fact of saving a perfectly good dog. I looked through the rescue dogs and found a couple I was interested in. I rang the shelter. This is where it stops, now I understand these people must take on alot of dogs and deal with alot of people, but this shelter in particular didn't exactly make it easy to adopt a rescue dog.

The first call I was asked to hold. I waited for 15 mins and hung up and called back, Once again I was put on hold and didn't even get a chance to explain I had been put on hold already. I then held for a further 8 mins. Finally being able to talk to someone, they were very vague and couldn't give me enough info about the dog to even be worth making a trip down for. They then went on to explain the costs involved in adapting a dog.

So I've decided against a rescue dog.

I have since been in contact with turnix pointers in WA where we have decided to buy a liver/white male. We havn't yet met him how ever I have explained what we will be using him for and they will assist us in seeing that our pups temprement will suit our needs, as I believe a dog only reflects its owner and most dogs can be more than capable of it's owners expectations with the right training.

As for training my dog to work in the field. In the past I have trained my dogs to the particular style I like to hunt, which I would say is not textbook but it has worked for me in the past. more a trial and error with rewards when things go right. I have always seen benifit in training dogs in real life situations and start from a young age. As I plann on using my dog to track deer as well as game bird, i will be taking him in as early as this season.