Calcium Deposits In The Eye

My daughter's aging Maltese has calcium deposits in the eye...has anyone else had experience with this condition & what is the best way of treating it. She was hoping someone might know of a natural remedy. The vet does not want to operate & said it was a normal part of aging :confused:

Where in the eye were the deposits? In the cornea?

I've heard of that being associated with corneal inflammation, also being an early warning sign of kidney problems or Cushings dz. Although sometimes, I think they have no idea what the cause is.

I've heard of topical solutions of EDTA being used to help prevent further deposits, not sure how well that works.

My 3 year old Lab, Henrietta, has calcium deposits in both eyes! They are in exactally the same place on each eye, no idea what caused them but they require no treatment (at this stage!)

In an older dog we can see corneal infiltrates of lipid/ calcium as part of the ageing process or a evidence of a systemic disease such as Cushing's disease. They would rarely be calcium alone unless the dog has had a previous parotid duct transposiion for dry eye treatment. They can be irritant in the cornea and they can rapidly degenerate leaving a large, deep ulcer. We would routinely put these dogs on long term cyclosporin which can help control the lipid deposition and generally promote corneal heath in these aged patients. In the event of an ulcer doxycycline is useful for its multiple corneal effects but especially for its calcium binding properties.

Edited by vetrg