Dog Groomer - Hand Stripping?

Hi I have a Rough coat Jack Russell that needs hand stripping.... Iphoned a couple of places but they don't do hand stripping.

I phoned Spoiled dog but they don't take new clients.... :(

I live south but will take her up north if I can find someone.

I love hand stripping but Mannum might be a bit far for you!! Is the breeder local?? Maybe visit the terrier ring at the next dog show at SACA park and talk to some of the exhibitors ?

or i guess i could do some work on her at the DOL meet on the 12th if you haven't worked anything else out by then..

Hand stripping should really only be done when the coat is ready to "Blow" (twice yearly moult). If your dog is blowing his coat then you could do it with a "stripping knife" or by hand using rubber finger stalls for grip.

It is totally unfair to try to strip a coat that is not ready to blow as it is painful for the dog. Most dog groomers wouldn't do this as it is time consuming and the dogs coat may not necessarily be ready to strip at this time. That is why clipping is often the preferred option Dog groomers have for pets.

Edited by LizT

Thanks DBT that would have been great, but we are moving to Perth.... we are flying out on the 10th. Her breeder is in Lewiston up north.

LizT, she is 15 months old and really needs to be professionally stripped, he coat is very long and falling out in clumps everywhere..... if I don't find someone I will consider clipping her, thanks. :)

If its falling out in clumps then just keep pulling it,you don't need a professional for a JR coat,the key is you need to work on it weekly to maintain the nice coat otherwise it will just go feral & become more over run by under coat.

Did the breeder not show you how to do it or what tools to use??

Racking/stripping a JR coat isn't that time consuming so a good groomer shouldn't have any issues doing it its other breeds that require sections done over a few weeks that often won't do .

A JR coat ready to blow can be done in an hour .

I wouldn't clip the coat unless you have no plans to do any basic coat work yourself

Thanksshowdog, her groomer did show me how to take care of her coat, even gave mesomething to brush it out with (looks like a black stone, works really good).

I do pull out the loose hair; just thought it would be good if someone with lotsof experience can do a complete job once before we move to Perh, they will have to stay in kennels for the first 7 to 10 days in Perth.

Oh bummer. I would have been able to give you some hands on lesson so you can do it yourself. As said, yes it's best to strip if the coat is ready to blow, and then maintain regularly by just picking out the longest hairs.

Please don't clip her. It may soften her coat , possibly making future hand stripping more difficult for both groomer & dog, and you will also loose the rich colours of her patches if you start clipping.

Enjoy Perth!

Thanksshowdog, her groomer did show me how to take care of her coat, even gave mesomething to brush it out with (looks like a black stone, works really good).

I do pull out the loose hair; just thought it would be good if someone with lotsof experience can do a complete job once before we move to Perh, they will have to stay in kennels for the first 7 to 10 days in Perth.

That black stone is Volcanic Rock, it's marketed as a "Heros Stone" in Chemists for dry, cracked heels!

They work great on moulting short/medium hair. Keep at it and if you don't find a groomer who will hand strip (if they do they will charge you for the extra time taken) try to locate a JRT breeder/exhibitor. I'm sure they will be happy to help you out and even teach you how.