Breed Suggestions Wanted Please

HI I'm an owner of basicly 2 golden retrievers Buddy and Shelley. The coat diffrences in these 2 are quite amazing. Buddy the male has a very thick coat can take up 2 hours to throughly brush him. Buddy also sheds alot of hair,Buddy also has a very bad doggy odour. Shelley the females coat isn't as thick as buddys and only takes about a hour to throughly brush, Shelley doesn't shed much hair at all and she also doesn't have much of a odour. It really depends what lines the dogs come from, Some goldens shed alot where some don't shed much at all. Best thing to do is ask the breeders how much ther dogs shed? goldens are only meant to shed twice a year. I brush my Shelley every couple of days and manage to get a big handful out of her each time. Buddy on the other hand I'll get half a bucket from him.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sunnyflower, firstly I am so sorry to hear about your Cav :hug:

Cavvies are the sweetest little dogs!

You said:

"If we are going to get a pointer we may as well get a Viszla"

However, I think that Pointers are not as full on as as Viszla, Weim or GSP or any of the all-round gundogs.

The ones I know personally are beautiful animals, quite laid back and relaxed and not as "full on".

Any young gundog including Golden Retrievers will be fairly active as a young dog and require regular exercise, but I think English Pointers are the most relaxed large gundog.

Goldies and Flatties are very sweet but some can be pretty full on as young dogs, almost as much so as a labrador and from your requirments/description I would not really recommend a lab. I think some people even say that Flatties are more full on than labs and remain puppy-like in attitude for a long time.

But the right breeder should be able to pick a suitable puppy for you- but perhaps ask for a calmer, more laid back one? Or you could get an adult rescue?

Have you considered a Greyhound? They are also very sweet dogs with low shedding and exercise requirements.

Edited by aussielover

Plus, I question if cutting the hair actually results in less hair dropped. As someone who thinks it's time to go to the hairdresser when it starts to seem like there's more of my hair floating around the house and in the drains than there is on my head, I have to assume that the only real difference is that shorter hairs aren't as noticeable. I have tried, but I can't imagine how this would be any different for dogs. How would dogs with lots of hair shed less when their hair is cut shorter? Beware confirmation bias!

At least I know about it when I'm ingesting Lappie fur. ;)

The several people I spoke to about it swore a huge difference after clipping. :shrug:

I cant personally vouch for that, but I did have an in-depth conversation about it each time and I was quite convinced by them.

I imagine you are right, the shedding of a clipped GR would be shorter and yes, much less noticeable.

With GRs, the long hair is not that hard to sweep up- it tends to form tumbleweeds- but over summer it can really pile up. Its not unusual for me to sweep 4 times a day and still find fresh hair. (Of course I do have black floorboards... :doh: ) The sheer volume is amazing. Shorter hair to sweep up would definitely be easier to live with.

PF- Surely a clipped, white poodle would have the same sunburn issues? :confused:

If you clip a Goldie- you reduce the shedding of the top-coat (guard hairs? sorry not sure of the correct terminology) because you have clipped it off!

The remaining undercoat stills sheds but it is not as noticeable.

For example, most of the hairs that my lab sheds are the long black hairs on her overcoat. Her undercoat is actually a more chocolate colour but I do not ever see those hairs unless I use an undercoat stripping brush.

Sunburn issues would depend on how short the clip was, although we do many tick clips on GRs using a 7-10 blade (which is a failry close clip)and have not had any sunburn issues.

I think clipping can make them more fluffy as the hair grows back thicker.

It certainly would not be good for a show dog, but for a pet- if it means they have less chance of getting tick paralysis and are allowed to go swimming more often I think it is ok

I know they have already been suggested but most definately a Pointer. They would be perfect, but then as you said you may as well get a viz. I havent had much to do with Viz so cant really compare the two they only ones I have met have been more active than my lot but thats not to say they are as a breed, just the two we have had in the kennels were more over the top then my pointers.

RV & MTD - I LOVE LOVE LOVE all the spaniels however Marcus not so much! However he is a cat man and only likes guy looking dogs. I keep telling him he's not getting one laugh.gif. He does like to research the breeds I like though so I might get him to do this.

PF - You are definitely right and I won't be bringing anything in until after we have given Oscar his kisses. You are 100% right and I want to make the next couple of weeks the happiest weeks of his life. He maybe getting a little porky but I'm really not fussed!

I will definitely have a look at the Flat Coat Retriever. We'll sit down and have a read tonight and see what Marcus thinks. laugh.gif Whippets are beautiful dogs and I reckon I could do with some whippet therapy, I can see what Marcus would say though. Our old neighbour had one called Zip and she was so cute and bloody fast!!

Spotty - Thank you, he is laying next to me so at least for now he is happy, uncomfortable no doubt but he is with me.

I was saying to Marcus that Dalmatians can be a lot of dog and maybe for now probably come under the category of the Vizsla. The one he says 3 times a week is a 12 year old so he doesn't get to really see when they are in their prime. However the fact they get on with cats is a big thumbs up as Cino is Marcus's pride and joy and Cino is going to be seriously lost without Osc as they do literally everything together.

FFAK - Briard.. Never heard of them! I will do some reading. Are they as demanding as say a Vizsla?

Bjelkier - All the ones I have met have been done but beautiful dogs and very pleasant to be around. Marcus's parents got one when he was born and they were best friends. They have photos of him sleeping in her basket with her.

Becks - I have considered this and every other aspect of bringing a puppy in aside from having a baby and as said pending on the right dog is when it will come in. New pup either comes very soon or a couple of months after bub or around Christmas time. Sure babies are demanding and I am sure there are going to be times where the pup has to sit to the side for maybe that day or only for a few hours but I am not going to put a halt on everything in my life because of bub, I do deserve to have the happiness a dog brings in too.

My fiancee's Mum went BACK to work 3 weeks after he was born and took her with him, if it's in your mind and heart then anything can be done! I firmly believe that.

Sunnyflower I believe that a pup and a baby are not a problem, unless they arrive on the same day, :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

One time Missymoo had a litter and a new baby. :D :D :D :D

smile.gif Thank you for the positive support BB. They definitely wouldn't be arriving on the same day laugh.gif! WOW - Go Missymoo.. Now that is a good effort.

I am the controller of my home and how things operate and I am not saying it's going to be a walk in the park but if you want something badly enough you make it work.

Cant go past a cocker !!!!!very people orientated, love kids,& get on well with cats .

Sorry to hear bout yr boy, but you will be paying him yr last respects, by releasing him from his pain .

Thank you CL. I broke down in the shower earlier knowing tomorrow I have to call my vet to book in for the last kiss. I am struggling with this.

I was actually surprised with the response I got when I showed my Fiancee Cockers. See what happens!

I am another one that would vote for a Lapphund! There are some very quiet lines around that would be more than suitable.

ETA- She is very calm, but always has a wonderful big smile and tail wag for everyone she meets. She likes to be in the same room as me, but not clingy like my kelpies. She is happy to sit at home all day with me studying or going for a wander down to the park for a few hours. I guess she is the dog that I take everywhere with me because she isn't a hassle and just 'hangs out'. I have been well known to forget to put her in her crate at shows because she will curl up in a chair for a snooze. I loves her :)

laugh.gif Your girl sounds gorgeous and very sweet! I find lappies cute but I never personally have looked at them and thought I would like to own one, one day. Maybe I just need to learn a little more about them. They sound like little sweethearts!

HI I'm an owner of basicly 2 golden retrievers Buddy and Shelley. The coat diffrences in these 2 are quite amazing. Buddy the male has a very thick coat can take up 2 hours to throughly brush him. Buddy also sheds alot of hair,Buddy also has a very bad doggy odour. Shelley the females coat isn't as thick as buddys and only takes about a hour to throughly brush, Shelley doesn't shed much hair at all and she also doesn't have much of a odour. It really depends what lines the dogs come from, Some goldens shed alot where some don't shed much at all. Best thing to do is ask the breeders how much ther dogs shed? goldens are only meant to shed twice a year. I brush my Shelley every couple of days and manage to get a big handful out of her each time. Buddy on the other hand I'll get half a bucket from him.

Thank you MTS. There is a lot of emphasis going on about the amount of shedding Goldens do. This really isn't an issue so me. Oscar is a Cavalier and despite being smaller then a Golden he does leave a lot of hair lying around! My brother also has a Golden and I have seen how much Jeda sheds, it is of no shock or surprise to me and not something I am stressing about. Hair shedding isn't or any concern. :)

Sunnyflower, firstly I am so sorry to hear about your Cav :hug:

Cavvies are the sweetest little dogs!

You said:

"If we are going to get a pointer we may as well get a Viszla"

However, I think that Pointers are not as full on as as Viszla, Weim or GSP or any of the all-round gundogs.

The ones I know personally are beautiful animals, quite laid back and relaxed and not as "full on".

Any young gundog including Golden Retrievers will be fairly active as a young dog and require regular exercise, but I think English Pointers are the most relaxed large gundog.

Goldies and Flatties are very sweet but some can be pretty full on as young dogs, almost as much so as a labrador and from your requirments/description I would not really recommend a lab. I think some people even say that Flatties are more full on than labs and remain puppy-like in attitude for a long time.

But the right breeder should be able to pick a suitable puppy for you- but perhaps ask for a calmer, more laid back one? Or you could get an adult rescue?

Have you considered a Greyhound? They are also very sweet dogs with low shedding and exercise requirements.

Thanks AL. I am sure in a lot of respects English Pointers are a lot quieter than Vizsla's but for personal preference and in terms of look/family if I was to get a Pointer I would rather get a Vizsla. I am aware all young dogs are bouncy and have more energy, I have had dogs all my life and my Mum & Pop used to breed and show dogs so I have had four legged crazies knocking me over from the day I was born.

We don't want and overly demanding dog however we still want a dog that wants to be played with and walked/run. My hope was to find a dog with the same disposition as a Cavalier, it appears to be that the wires are getting crossed in terms of what we are hoping for. As already stated we won't be getting an older rescue dog we want a puppy. I used to foster/rescue and I lost my last one due to parvo and at the moment we want a puppy.

Greyhounds are sweet dogs however not for us.

I know they have already been suggested but most definately a Pointer. They would be perfect, but then as you said you may as well get a viz. I havent had much to do with Viz so cant really compare the two they only ones I have met have been more active than my lot but thats not to say they are as a breed, just the two we have had in the kennels were more over the top then my pointers.

Thank you Nevafollo - I do find the pointers to be beautiful dogs and I am sure Pointers and Vizsla's are vastly different dogs and the Vizsla's I have meet were beautiful easy to live with dogs however were more demanding than something of say a Golden or Cav. The best way to describe them was attention seekers laugh.gif. Hilarious to watch but they seriously demanded your focus at all times! I am not sure if pointers are the same but I am more drawn to the fluffies I must admit!

I hope you are Ok at this tough time and just wanted to add that when I got my Bernese Mt Dog I was told "they are just cavaliers on steroids" - and its true.

Thank you berners. Greater Swiss Mountain Dogs/Berners are my dream dog and I have actually been chatting with a local breeder who has a litter on the ground and she has one male pup available but ONLY on breeders terms. This is fine and we are completely happy with this however they are still charging full pet price of $2,300 yet we have to stick to the strict guidelines of their contract on the off chance they want to use him. We'd prefer to desex our dog but we were ok with not but we won't pay her full pet price when we are having restrictions put on us. We could go buy one for the same price and not have anyone telling us what we can and can't do.

My personal opinion is if you want someone to have a dog on Breeder Terms than you should give them the pup at a reduced price because you are governed but their terms and it's co-ownership!

One day - I absolutely love these dogs.

My vote is for the lappie too.

I mean, how can you resist this?

snik_2.jpg

Ker your baby is absolutely gorgeous! As much as I love the look of these dogs and the huskie types I just cannot see myself owning one. :) I would love to give it a big cuddle though.

In Australia, there are MANY Cav breeders that also have their Giant sized counterpart:- The Saint Bernard.

My mother has a Cav, and she claims him to be her bonsai'd Saint.

Very similar in both nature and looks, the only difference is the size..... and yes, some Saints do slobber!

I believe second to Cavs as a 2nd breed for Saint owners, the Clumber Spaniel would come in a close second.

The British Bulldog is our 2nd breed, also popular with other Saint enthusiasts, but not in the running league as the Cav's are.