Breed Suggestions Wanted Please

Some of you may have seen my recent thread regarding my Cavalier who has SM and despite treatment it hasn't been successful so it's looking like we are going to have to put my boy to rest within the next couple/few weeks. We've increased one of his medication and it has helped a little but there is still signs of pain so I've decided I am not going to fight it as it's only for me not for him.

With this in mind a lovely DOLer has recommended bringing another one in to help heal the pain and hopefully before Oscar departs. The reality is I have always had a dog and I won't last long before the desire/need to get another, my life feels empty without dogs in it.

We've had our name on a waiting list for a Vizsla for nearly 12 months but at this stage we haven't been given confirmation of a mating anyways and we feel this will likely be too much dog for the moment. My fiancee doesn't want a little dog again, he wants a medium - large dog and I too would be happy with this however I want the happy, cuddly and infectious personality a Cavalier has but in a bigger body. I want a dog that is going to want to be apart of the family because unfortunately they have no option but to be. Oscar sleeps inside and is inside when we are home otherwise set up outside.

We aren't planning on rushing out tomorrow to get another dog but I would at least like to know where we are headed for the near future - future.

My Fiancee wanted me to jump on here and for the more knowledgeable people to help us out. So far we have come up with is -

Golden Retriever - My brother & Sis In Law has one and so does her parents. Beautiful dogs.

Dalmatian - Family friend has one and can't speak highly enough of them - I am not so sure.

Then there is always my trusty Cavalier. I love Cavs but I have to at least consider my fiancees feelings if nothing else.

:)

Edited by Sunnyflower

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sunnyflower I think a new pupppy is a good idea but I strongly recommend you wait until after Oscar is given his wings. Managing any puppy with a dog with significant pain issues will not be easy - for either of them. A larger pup could be very stressful for Oscar and you can't really penalise a puppy for wanting to interact with the only other dog in the home.

If I were looking for "CKCS temperament" in a larger breed (biddible, merry), then I think a Golden Retriever would be a good bet. Can I suggest you have a good hard look at the Flat Coated Retriever too - very happy, friendly dogs as a rule and a bit lighter in build than the Goldens. There are two litters adverstised here at the moment.

Personally I think you would benefit from some Whippet therapy though - just the most wonderful dogs. :)

Really sorry to hear about your Cav :(

Both my dogs are inside and the only thing more important than them are the cats :D

Dalmatians can be a 'lot of dog' although of course there are some more laid back than others. I have one of the 'others' :laugh: He suits me perfectly but he's not for everyone. They shed. A lot! Zig requires daily exercise and mental stimulation but now he has passed the mad teen stage he is happy to curl up on the couch during the day. He's not a cuddly type dog at all.

A spaniel type might suit. Em is an English Springer Spaniel and she is the snuggliest little thing - I often have her and 3 cats on my legs if I'm lying on the couch in the evening! However, she is working lines - so whilst she's a bit smaller and has much less feathering/coat than the show ESS (which equals less grooming :thumbsup:) she is an absolute live wire and very high drive. Brilliant if you want a dog for retrieving/obedience/agility but not so great if you don't have the time to channel her energy and work ethic into something constructive.

One other thing to consider, is how you will manage a puppy with their training and heading into teenage time while pregnant/with a young baby demanding your time too. Some people manage great and others realise it is a little to much all at one time. Large breed pups can be a handful and bouncing around.

I agree with PF. Maybe you should wait until Oscar has been given his wings. I was thinking maybe a larger spaniel. What about a Brittany?

They ain't spaniels!! I don't think their temperament is much like a CKCS either ;) Actually I dont think any of the spaniels is much like a CKCS - most are very 'busy' dogs and grooming wise all are far more work than a Cavalier.

Edited by poodlefan

RV & MTD - I LOVE LOVE LOVE all the spaniels however Marcus not so much! However he is a cat man and only likes guy looking dogs. I keep telling him he's not getting one laugh.gif. He does like to research the breeds I like though so I might get him to do this.

PF - You are definitely right and I won't be bringing anything in until after we have given Oscar his kisses. You are 100% right and I want to make the next couple of weeks the happiest weeks of his life. He maybe getting a little porky but I'm really not fussed!

I will definitely have a look at the Flat Coat Retriever. We'll sit down and have a read tonight and see what Marcus thinks. laugh.gif Whippets are beautiful dogs and I reckon I could do with some whippet therapy, I can see what Marcus would say though. Our old neighbour had one called Zip and she was so cute and bloody fast!!

Spotty - Thank you, he is laying next to me so at least for now he is happy, uncomfortable no doubt but he is with me.

I was saying to Marcus that Dalmatians can be a lot of dog and maybe for now probably come under the category of the Vizsla. The one he says 3 times a week is a 12 year old so he doesn't get to really see when they are in their prime. However the fact they get on with cats is a big thumbs up as Cino is Marcus's pride and joy and Cino is going to be seriously lost without Osc as they do literally everything together.

FFAK - Briard.. Never heard of them! I will do some reading. Are they as demanding as say a Vizsla?

Bjelkier - All the ones I have met have been done but beautiful dogs and very pleasant to be around. Marcus's parents got one when he was born and they were best friends. They have photos of him sleeping in her basket with her.

Becks - I have considered this and every other aspect of bringing a puppy in aside from having a baby and as said pending on the right dog is when it will come in. New pup either comes very soon or a couple of months after bub or around Christmas time. Sure babies are demanding and I am sure there are going to be times where the pup has to sit to the side for maybe that day or only for a few hours but I am not going to put a halt on everything in my life because of bub, I do deserve to have the happiness a dog brings in too.

My fiancee's Mum went BACK to work 3 weeks after he was born and took her with him, if it's in your mind and heart then anything can be done! I firmly believe that.

I agree with PF. Maybe you should wait until Oscar has been given his wings. I was thinking maybe a larger spaniel. What about a Brittany?

They ain't spaniels!! I don't think their temperament is much like a CKCS either ;) Actually I dont think any of the spaniels is much like a CKCS - most are very 'busy' dogs and grooming wise all are far more work than a Cavalier.

Yes - We don't want a dog that is going to be over demanding or completely pushy. Agreed at times any dog is but I find Oscar doesn't mind what he is doing as long as he is with us he is happy. I don't want a busy dog as PF puts it.

I am sorry about your little cavalier.How active do you want the dog to be?Maybe a Clumber Spaniel; The fiancee would like them;cute but not too girly.I really like these.A bit bigger than other spaniels and a bit slower and quieter.If you want more active a cocker spaniel or brittany If you walk a lot a Beagle.Bigger still a curly coated retriever;they are good indoors and active outside do not shed as much as a Golden Retriever but I also think Golden,Flat coat,or English setter.and of coarse the good old Labrador. ....Reading through again,it seems you and fiancee have quite different likes as to breeds,Have you changed your mind about the Vizsla? My neighbour has one and he is so well trained and quiet indoors.I think a Vizsla would be good with a cat;so maybe they would be good living with a cavalier? So you could get another cavalier for you and a Vizsla for your Partner.If he is prepared to train and help to look after the dogs with you i think it would work.

Edited by budgiew

I am sorry about your little cavalier.How active do you want the dog to be?Maybe a Clumber Spaniel; The fiancee would like them;cute but not too girly.I really like these.A bit bigger than other spaniels and a bit slower and quieter.If you want more active a cocker spaniel or brittany If you walk a lot a Beagle.Bigger still a curly coated retriever;they are good indoors and active outside do not shed as much as a Golden Retriever but I also think Golden,Flat coat,or English setter.and of coarse the good old Labrador.

Thank you budgiew. We want something similar to a Cavalier so as PF said that rules out the majority of spaniels and definitely a beagle. Beagle is smaller then we are wanting and require a lot more time then a Cavalier/Golden. I've shown Marcus Clumber Spaniels not for any particular reason but neither of us like the look of these dogs. Personal preference, same applies to the setters really.

Shedding of the golden is an issue as such as it's easy cleaning shedding and same texture coat of the Cavalier. I also personally clip in summer and could keep it short all year round with a warm house and rug. I think so far as PF and you suggested - The golden and Flat Coat Retriever. :)

Hi Sunnyflower, sorry for the situation with Oscar, its a really tough time for you. :kissbetter:

Just a question, would you be considering clipping a GR or a Flat Coated? Their shedding isn't associated with the length of the coat and feathering. If you are inclined to clip out these breeds, would you instead consider another breed which simply has a lower shed factor?

Its something that I really don't understand, clipping dogs whose natural coats are there for a purpose. I don't mean to offend, but it would seem a shame to have one of those two breeds that have the most beautiful flowing coats and then to clip them.

Mind you I could have the wrong end of the stick here and misinterpreted your post. Put me in my place if I have. :laugh: