Clicker Question

I have a very clicker savy dog. Well 2 and working on the 3rd still. All will offer me behavours but I am finding that I am giving suttle hints to what I want. I noticed a few nights ago I was moving around a lot and so stopped. So did the behavour I was trying to shape. Then I paid a little more attention the next time I went out and bingo I'm cueing stuff with out meaning too.

I tried not to but I'm not sure how to not move LOL. Does any one have a similar problem or an idea on how to fix mine. LOL

Have you played 101 things to do with a box?

I have a very clicker savy dog. Well 2 and working on the 3rd still. All will offer me behavours but I am finding that I am giving suttle hints to what I want. I noticed a few nights ago I was moving around a lot and so stopped. So did the behavour I was trying to shape. Then I paid a little more attention the next time I went out and bingo I'm cueing stuff with out meaning too.

I tried not to but I'm not sure how to not move LOL. Does any one have a similar problem or an idea on how to fix mine. LOL

You could try clickering from a chair, hands behind your back. I kind of encourage it to be honest. I taught them to follow the weight of my body, so if I lean left they go left. You could embrace it and make it a conscious signal. I sit out with my hare every day and every movement I make is conscious. It's kind of studying. If every movement is conscious and deliberate, I can keep them subtle enough that I can pick up the effect they have on the hare. And in the process, I'm practising being aware of everything I do. It's when I'm not paying attention that I make mistakes. The lessons carry over to dog training. If I'm conscious of what I'm doing I can control it and therefore when I want to give the boys hints I can control how subtle a hint it is, and when I want them to figure it out on their own I can hold back the hints.

If you're trying for a new behaviour, click/treat every different move they make once - and click more for the ones they make that are steps towards where you want to go.

My dog tries to anticipate what I want. And offers up her entire repetoire before we get to trying new things. What I signal largely has nothing to do with what she offers.

I find it I try to keep too still I get tense - and I don't want training to be like that. So I just relax and smile. If I move, I move - my dogs just need to get used to how I am :-)

Depends what you're shaping! If you're shaping interaction with an object you're probably better off keeping still so the dog cues off the object rather than yourself. If you're shaping a behaviour that you might use in a trick routine it probably doesn't matter as you will be using body cues anyway. In time you would introduce a body cue for the interaction with an object as well and then a verbal cue. Sometimes it depends on the dog and how much history they have of shaping and don't forget we all give off all sorts of subtle cues to our dogs all the time, most of which we aren't even conscious of but they are! :D

What is the 101 things to do with a box game?

I would love to find some more quiet games to play indoors with them as I can't do much when Bubby is around he steals the treats and the target and chucks toys to the dogs. LOL. But when he is in bed the lounge is very close to him and I wake him up sometimes training. (bad mummy)

Sitting in a chair is probably a good idea as I am trying to get them to interact with other objects ATM. One the weave poles and One to drop in a target.

http://www.clickersolutions.com/articles/2001b/101.htm and http://www.clickertraining.com/node/167 There is heaps on You Tube as well...just Google it.

What is the 101 things to do with a box game?

I would love to find some more quiet games to play indoors with them as I can't do much when Bubby is around he steals the treats and the target and chucks toys to the dogs. LOL. But when he is in bed the lounge is very close to him and I wake him up sometimes training. (bad mummy)

Sitting in a chair is probably a good idea as I am trying to get them to interact with other objects ATM. One the weave poles and One to drop in a target.