What Do You Like About Obedience

Do you prefer obedience or agility?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. If you could only do one what would you choose?

AL I am just talking from my experience but Daisy never used to 'accept' food or show interest in it in many situations, but part of drive training is developing their value for the reward and getting them to 'trigger' into drive without needing to do more than give a command (i.e. 'are you ready'?).

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The strongest drive will be whatever drive that you have trained your dog from a pup to work with (if done properly). A dog trained properly in prey drive is always working in the frenzied (but controlled) state that you describe your lab sometimes gets in. Nothing else matters. The dog only desires one thing if the proper work has been done. Similar can be obtained with food if done properly.

The best way to see what I mean is to watch Ivan Balabanov's cd's or attend one of K9s seminars. :)

Edited by dogdude

I dont think that you could ever have the dog displaying the same levels of drive by chopping and changing. Not talking about shaping or teaching new things etc.....talking about working.

Erik says "REALLY???" :laugh:

Hi Guys! Had a bit of a tradgedy dog wise, and lost interest the last 12 months. A friend has kind of pushed me into helping him to prepare his pup for trialling, so I am helping him a bit. Have not trained or been near a dog club in over a year. Have had another skin kid recently, so the 5 of them have kept me plenty busy, and also left work to start a gardening business which has taken off nicely.

Edited by dogdude