Is Puppy "challenging" Me? Help!

PennyGB

Hi All

My Boston Terrier pup Archer is 13 weeks old. Up until now he has been a great dog (with the expected hard work a pup requires though). But the past couple of days he has been a real brat! Breaking rules we have already established and ignoring commands, he's also toileted on the carpet twice and he hasn't done that for weeks. He behaves beautifully during training when there's a reward involved but apart from that I feel like he's challenging my authority.

I thought this wouldn't happen until he was older? Any suggestions on what else it might be? And how do I handle this in the right way??

:) So - what is different over the past few days ?

Weather

people home or away -different to previously

any dog visitors

have you been anywhere different with him

Do you train with food?

has he had any different food/treats?

How is he out on a walk?

At 13 weeks, rules are not "established". He is still learning, and it's perfectly normal to have plateaus and regression in the learning process. Regression usually happens while he's processing something he has learnt or is learning.

There is no way a baby of 13 weeks is challenging you.

He had his final vaccination Friday night and first Puppy School class on Saturday (so lots of new dogs).

Apart from that nothing I can think of that's been different, we've tried to expose him to as many different experiences as possible up until now but he's never acted like this. We train with food and lots of praise, and sometimes just lots of praise (no food) up until now he seemed to prefer the attention although I think he is starting to become more food focused.

We haven't walked him yet (except around the backyard) as he hasn't been fully vaccinated, although we do a lot of playing and running to try and wear him out. The vet we can take him out this weekend, I'm hoping that will help matters.

At 13 weeks, rules are not "established". He is still learning, and it's perfectly normal to have plateaus and regression in the learning process. Regression usually happens while he's processing something he has learnt or is learning.

I did think it was too young, any advice as to what it might be and how to approach it?

Oops sorry fuzzy82 I realised you said that regression may happen when he's processing learning.

So maybe all the Puppy School enthusiasm with "lie down" (a new one) and "stay" (another new one) is pushing the old stuff aside for the moment?

joys of puppies :) One step forward, two steps back - just when you think that you have trained them in something they regress

All I would be doing is reinforcing the training that you have been doing with him from the start. eventually he will get it. He hasn't hit the teenage years yet, he just forgets things coz he is only very young.

Thanks everyone :D

Looks like I've been over-thinking the situation way too much! He just seems so naughty the last couple of days.

Will keep up with the reinforcement of the training

What do you guys think about training clubs... it is a good idea or is it best to keep the dog at home and you train yourself on what you would like your dog to do...

We dont want to show , or go on trials with sax tho we may stud him. We love him as family companion but also do what we want him to do...

When Erik was about 10 weeks old he was out on the deck with me when my other dog started heading our way. He struck a stiff, threatening pose, growled deep in his chest, and then rushed Kivi. Apparently he was making a point, because he pulled up short and then strutted back to me for all the world like he'd taken care of something. I'm not even sure Kivi noticed. He ignored it. I ignored it. We moved on and he didn't do it again. I've known a couple of puppies that do some spookily adult behaviour at a very young age. This doesn't sound like one of them!