Puppy Dry Foods

I'm looking to change my lappie puppy's kibble and I need some suggestions.

Full story is: at about four months we started noticing that Halo was extremely thin. Her puppy coat started dying and going red (not sure if it was from normal growing up or her dietary issues, but she was the only one in the litter who went red) and we tried to put some weight on her by increasing her kibble and adding extra meat to her diet (mainly meaty beef bones and chicken wings, and she got sardines twice a week instead of once a week). She's at a normal weight now, so we've cut back the amount of food she's getting very slightly so it's now just maintenance. However she now has dandruff and her skin is quite dry, even though she's still getting sardines twice a week. She also doesn't seem to like her kibble very much and eats extremely slowly, but will take any opportunity to get some of Akira's. She's not a fussy eater at all, I've never allowed her to be.

She's currently on ProPlan Puppy Chicken and Rice, and I'd like to keep her on puppy formula for a little while longer just because of the dietary issues she had as a young pup. I was considering mixing Akira's kibble with hers (Akira's on ProPlan Sensitive Skin and Stomach which is salmon based) because the fish would help her coat. Does anyone have any other suggestions, possibly of other brands that might help her skin and coat get better? She is in the process of growing her adult coat, which I'm sure is adding extra stress to her system and could be the reason for the dandruff.

Oh and it's not shampoo, we make sure it's washed out completely each time she has a bath.

Edited by whiskedaway

why have her on kibble at all? Why not try a raw diet and just add in the Vets All Natural Health Bosster powder to ensure it really is complete. I dont find ProPlan a good food, none of the Purina range are really anything special.

If you have your heart set on a kibble why not try Royal Canin or Black Hawk Holistic?

I had troubles with Jet's skin not so long ago. He was itchy & had flakey skin. I changed him onto Black Hawk Holistic & sardines and we no longer have that problem. I would recommend the food, I bet it's cheaper the ProPlan too.

I would be adding flaxseed oil to whatever your feeding.

With one of my boys I ended up feeding him raw with eagle pack or artemis kibble when I am lazy. He got dandruff when he was on Black Hawk, and it went dry when I won some advance and used that- my other dog still looked fine so I know it isnt the food. So now he gets meat and veggies in the morning- I do a big batch each month that I add oil too so it is easy to get out in the morning, then Vets all natural and meat/bones of a night.

So perhaps adding some elements of raw to her diet might do something?

Kibble is just a lot easier for us - we travel for shows a couple of times a year so that makes raw hard, my OH doesn't like anything too hard (and he's normally the one who feeds them), and if they have to be kennelled (which they will be in October when we go for our honeymoon) we can't expect anyone else to feed them raw.

We do feed some raw as I said, but it's primarily kibble.

Will look into the Black Hawk, it seems to be popular.

Edited by whiskedaway

Guest english.ivy

I'd be considering Black Hawk or Royal Canin too.

My two had flaky, dry skin on Nutro [which looking online, is similar to ProPlan] and that has now cleared up.

I had my young Pointer pup on BH from a young age [Pointers can be hard to fatten up] and he kept great weight on BH.

BH do a puppy dry also.

Oh and the other supplement I use is LIVAMOL. I know a lot of spitz show people use it- I have found that it improves coat and skin but it is also high in protein so adds some extra calories :) It makes the kelpies nice and dark and since then my other flaky skin girl has been eating whatever I have lying around without any flakes lol.

I dont blame you for keeping kibble in the diet- half my dogs are on straight kibble, the other on a mix of kibble and raw because making veggies up for 8 dogs in a monthly batch was getting a bit much :laugh: I do however still try and give them some steamed veggies once a week which they quite enjoy.

Ultimately it will just be a matter of searching around, and finding what works for her......

Edited by ~Woofen~

I sell it at my work :laugh: I introduced the line into the store

you can order it online too, but any store has premium foods should be order it in for you, Dr Neils and Animal Supplies are both suppliers