New Puppy Getting A Bit Too Excited, What Do I Do?

Rolodex

Hi there,

Just got my new puppy yesterday, Dexter (Toy Poodle), 7 weeks old. Had a great night and great day today, he's settling in really well. The only thing I'm not too happy about is that he is doing that humping thing on all our legs. Isn't that meant to start a bit later than 7 weeks old. Is there anything I can do about it or do I just try to discourage it? He's too early for desexing isn't he? I'm just worried that even after the desexing that it will have already become a habit that he won't be able to break.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Hi -

humping in a puppy this young is probably an excitement thing.. and displacement thing... What does the pup's breeder say about it?

Was the puppy with mum & littermates still?

was he by himself somewhere?

What toys does he have?

What do you do when he STARTS to look like he is going to hump?

Pup's breeder never mentioned it, puppy was with 4 littermates, Mum and Dad when we took him, I think he spent all his time outdoors with them so the breeder wouldn't know. He has chew toys, rope toys, soft toys, squeaky toys and when he starts i just push him away and say "no Dex" firmly.

So- the pup was never inside?

I am just wondering if being inside,and missing his family has just upset him a bit...

definitely move away/stand up/ push him off .. but don't use his name .

Just a very gruff AAh! or OFF !! - try that ...and ignore him for a minute or two

So- the pup was never inside?

I am just wondering if being inside,and missing his family has just upset him a bit...

definitely move away/stand up/ push him off .. but don't use his name .

Just a very gruff AAh! or OFF !! - try that ...and ignore him for a minute or two

Will do, thanks for the advice.