Black Stools And Increased Thirst

My 10-year-old desexed female Golden Retriever has done several black stools in recent days. She also seems to be drinking more water than usual. She is otherwise well and happy: gums the correct shade of pink, still very playful and loves her tucker. (She is on Royal Canin Urinary for bladder stones, diagnosed two years ago - they dissolved without surgery).

Of course, I took her to the vet with a stool sample yesterday (Friday) and the vet could find no immediate problem but she did say black stools can indicate bleeding in the upper intestinal tract that is hard to detect through a superficial examination. I have to return on Monday with a urine sample. She will know how to proceed once she has the results of both samples.

I am sick with worry (damn Google, no reassurance there!). In the interim, any thoughts about possible causes would be greatly appreciated, especially from anyone whose dog has experienced similar symptoms.

There are lots & lots of causes for increased drinking, some totally benign, some more worrisome (off the top of my head, can be a sign of things as varied as hot weather, more exercise, change to a a saltier or drier diet, renal dz, liver dz, diabetes, pyometra, Cushings dz, some types of cancers that cause hypercalcaemia, etc). Might be helpful for your vet if you could measure how much water she actually is drinking, so they can check how abnormal the amount is.

In the absence of other symptoms, the black poo would worry me more, I think, since it can indicate upper GIT bleeding. Hope it all turns out well for your girl. Please let us know what happens.

I suggest an appointment at the vets as soon as practicable.

oakway- It seems this has been done ...

Of course, I took her to the vet with a stool sample yesterday (Friday) and the vet could find no immediate problem but she did say black stools can indicate bleeding in the upper intestinal tract that is hard to detect through a superficial examination. I have to return on Monday with a urine sample.

Curlybert - Black stool indicates digested blood ...and we see it in our dogs if they have pigged out on liver/very fresh red meat etc - lasts for a couple of days. I have also seen this in a dog with internal bleeding ..

I wish you luck at the vets ...has she done any normal coloured stools, or is everything black?

:hugs:

I wish you luck at the vets ...has she done any normal coloured stools, or is everything black?

Thanks Pers, and also others who have responded. She usually does a couple a day (smallish in quantity) and she did one late yesterday that was brown rather than black, but alas, it was followed by a black one this morning. Then on our walk this afternoon she did a normal one. It was a relief, but I'm not convinced all will be well. She hasn't had liver or any other fresh meat - she is on a strict Royal Canin Urinary diet, combined with whatever she knocks off from the kitchen bench top! I am pretty careful about that. Def. no red meat.

I suggest an appointment at the vets as soon as practicable.

oakway- It seems this has been done ...

Of course, I took her to the vet with a stool sample yesterday (Friday) and the vet could find no immediate problem but she did say black stools can indicate bleeding in the upper intestinal tract that is hard to detect through a superficial examination. I have to return on Monday with a urine sample.

Curlybert - Black stool indicates digested blood ...and we see it in our dogs if they have pigged out on liver/very fresh red meat etc - lasts for a couple of days. I have also seen this in a dog with internal bleeding ..

You would think I would remember something that simple :mad Sorry op.

I am astounded (and delighted!) to report that the faecal occult blood test came back negative. But the urine sample (obtained after I chased Madam around the backyard with a kidney basin at 6.30 this morning!) was a bit concerning. The vet said it could be because of her diet (Royal Canin Urinary) but wants to investigate further so a full blood count is scheduled tomorrow.

That's what Kivi was doing after he ate half a packet of Neurofen. When we worked out what had happened the symptoms had cleared up, but the vets did a blood test and the results showed his kidneys were still in distress, so he was put on a drip for the rest of the day until his bloods went back to normal.