Any Vets In The House

my vet usually answers after hours, but atm no , fancy having a life

I have been told by vet b4 and by others that you can use benadryl ,I bought the liquid original and now have been told no you can't. Chopper and Gizzi both have it now , Gizzi has pancreatitis and takes phenomav[sp] for fits . Whats the dosage and can Gizzi have it?They are not too bad now, just want to know incase they get worse [Gizzi 13yo] and I need something for them .

I assume you are treating Kennel Cough - dosage is 0.2ml/kg but it must be childrens benadryl but do check regarding other medical conditions

Edited by Tilly

if my dog had health problems and on medication I would stay away from it

I used benadryll once and it didnt really help, i just let it pass over the dog and take them to the vets if they show any infections.

I got it for chops as he was coughing bad and I thought I'd give it to him to help the cough, when I got home from work gizzi is a bit snuffly , both are ok atm asleep, so not needed , want to know if they turn and need something , was not til someone showed me a sight that said not to use it, then another said yes with buts, tahst I thought I'd ask if there was a vet round to clarify

Edited by Chezy & Chopper

ty for replies, think I will off to bed while they are alseep , incase i need to get them to a vet in the night , hopefully tats not needed , chopper has had KC before, it is gizzi i worry about .

ty for replies, think I will off to bed while they are alseep , incase i need to get them to a vet in the night , hopefully tats not needed , chopper has had KC before, it is gizzi i worry about .

How do they have kennel cough? Do vaccinations not work properly?

How do they have kennel cough? Do vaccinations not work properly?

Vaccinations do not necessarily prevent KC.

If they have been vaccinated they can have reduced symptoms.

There are also a number of strains of KC so it depends whether the vaccine has covered these.