Living In The Inner City (high Rise)

samoyedman

One day many years from now when I finally retire I'd like to buy one of those tiny high rise apartments in the inner city. I occasionally see inner-city people who live in an apartment here in Sydney walking their small dogs around.

Is there any among us here in DOL who lives in the inner-city in a high-rise or similar and owns a small dog? What rules are there regarding pet ownership and how do you find the lifestyle generally both for yourself and your pet?

Appreciate any feedback.

Edited by samoyedman

I don't live in a high rise but I do know several people who live in upper level apartments with small dogs (chiahuahua & spaniel types).

Around Potts Point many of the apartment blocks specifically allow small dogs as long as they can be carried in. Locally there are many dog friendly parks where my friends can walk their dogs. The friends with the Chi use pee pads for their dog, but otherwise you really need to be very organised or learn to live with the occasional "accident".

I believe bigger dogs are probably just as easy to keep in an apartment- if its a BIG apartment and you are committed to getting them out and about.

At a Potts Point park I recently met a girl walking her deerhound pup, they were living alternate weeks in a high rise and at a regional property! That was a pretty big ask I thought!

When we go away, Woody and Coco stay with our friend in an apartment in the Valley. They love the apartment life.

The friend bought the unit and the business that manages the building, and it took him a long time to find an apartment block that allows large dogs. His dog died, but since then he loves having greyhounds come to stay.

I don't live in a high rise but I do know several people who live in upper level apartments with small dogs (chiahuahua & spaniel types).

Around Potts Point many of the apartment blocks specifically allow small dogs as long as they can be carried in. Locally there are many dog friendly parks where my friends can walk their dogs. The friends with the Chi use pee pads for their dog, but otherwise you really need to be very organised or learn to live with the occasional "accident".

I believe bigger dogs are probably just as easy to keep in an apartment- if its a BIG apartment and you are committed to getting them out and about.

At a Potts Point park I recently met a girl walking her deerhound pup, they were living alternate weeks in a high rise and at a regional property! That was a pretty big ask I thought!

I have a friend who lives in Potts Point and has a young Samoyed.

They seem to cope just fine.

Our Lab lived in an apartment for the first 6 months of his life.

He did very well in the situation but I do believe the constant walking up and down stairs to go outside effected his hips very badly.

Also now he isnt too keen on going outside, he will only go out when forced, otherwise he is totally a house dog.

I know it can be done but I wouldnt do it again with a large breed puppy.

Edited by Bjelkier

I have a friend who lives in Potts Point and has a young Samoyed.

They seem to cope just fine.

Our Lab lived in an apartment for the first 6 months of his life.

He did very well in the situation but I do believe the constant walking up and down stairs to go outside effected his hips very badly.

Also now he isnt too keen on going outside, he will only go out when forced, otherwise he is totally a house dog.

I know it can be done but I wouldnt do it again with a large breed puppy.

Most high rises would have lifts. No way I'd have my dog going up and down stacks of steps each day.

I was wondering if this in itself would be an issue because other residents in the building wouldn't be keen on sharing a lift with a dog.

I guess its a case-by-case thing and you'd need to get permission from the strata management.

Edited by samoyedman

My dad lives in a small apartment in Manly with his westie x and he has adapted just fine after being brought up in a large house (the dog and my Dad :laugh: ). He walks Scottie a couple of times a day down by the beach. The problem is he is a chef and sometimes works long hours so has to come home in the afternoon to take him out. Scottie is also a barker so my Dad had to put in a lot of retraining to stop him barking at everything.

My Mum moved to an apartment in Wahroonga and there is a German Shepherd in her block a few levels up. She says it gets walked a lot and never hears a peep out of it. So I guess it is possible to have any size breed in an apartment if your willing to put the time in to take them out and about a lot.

I have also thought about this as there was an apartment being sold in the building I work in (its nice to dream :laugh: )

Both my dogs are happy sleeping 22.5 hours of the day (seriously the laziest dogs Ive ever met!) but as soon as dusk hits at home they go mental and do their zoomies around the yard and play fight for close to an hour. We call it the witching hour :laugh:

So I guess it can be done but you would have to be very strict on yourself to take them for walks and play time on grass (not necessarily with other dogs but just letting them be dogs, sniffing, peeing on things etc).

SM, my friends have a spaniel cross in a very swanky high rise with a concierge, the strata rules permit dogs.

There has been a big push for that in the area & I know of many blocks around the inner east that allow dogs.

My mum has three little dogs in an apartment in the city - they're walked more now than they ever were when they lived in a house with a yard. Toilet training was a bit of an issue at the start (and to be honest is a little bit still) as they had to adjust to one of those doggy loo fake grass things, on the balcony. But if they're taken out in the morning, and straight after work, it's fine. No more of an issue than my own house with a doggy door!

My daughter has a Belgian Shepherd in her apartment. She is on the first floor and she has had the dog for 7 years.

She has lived in the apartment for about 4 years without an issue. The dog love her life there and the other residents adore her.

She leaves her front door open and the dog visits the neighbours upstairs who keep treats for her.

The dog has a run every day and the common area/garden is the dogs playground. She often did zoomies around the outside of the building.

The block of units is fully fenced.

When I lived in New York and Paris, big dogs in apartments was common place....... In New York we were on the 34th floor and there were lots of dogs on our floor....some big...some small.