Advance Dog Food

Hi guys,

I recently had a behaviourist out to assess my dog. When we got to talking about her diet I mentioned she was on pet mince from the butchers as well as chicken frame or chicken necks.

I am currently considering switching to Kibble ( don't really have the space to store RAW food/ nor do I have the finances or means to make a daily trip to the butchers to collect fresh pet mince).

The behaviourist suggested Advance as a good quality kibble. I know my house mates Border Collie does well on it, and I know a few others feed it.

I have looked online at the Advance website and was a bit confused about the serving size too :o. Brennan averages at 28-30 kilos ( she is a 2 year old German Shepherd for those who may not know). However the weight ranges get me confused...these are the options;

Advance Adult Dental

Medium breed-25kg

Large breed-35kg

Then with the other options of Advance- Active, Advance All breed the weight ranges are;

<5 kg

5-10kg

15-25kg

35-45kg.

So; 3 questions in total;

1) What Advance range would be best for Brennan?-- she is moderately/highly active in her daily life between walks and play, although she is not a 'sport' dog ( as in we don't compete in dog sports).

2) With the weight guide do I round down or up? would it be best to feed her as per the 25kg range or try for some sort of happy medium?

3) Can anyone give me a rough estimate of how long a 3kg bag could last a 2 yr old, 28-30kg GSD? I only ask because I am on a tight budget, and don't have a car so would generally be getting the food from a nearby vet/ pet supply store and bringing home on public transport.

Thanks guys :)

I don't have a german shepherd but I do own a golden retriever. 3kgs wouldn't last long I don't think. I can't believe the price of avance,pro plan etc I'm on the pension so have to budget my money. I feed my guys black hawk holistic I pay $80 for a 20kg bag I get it from a breeder here but cause she ran out I now have to get a bag freighted to me which is $95 all up.

Guest english.ivy

My OH has his labs on Advance and they do fine on it! A 15kg bag lasts his two about six weeks and they get a cup each a day, split into two meals.

I use advance and raw diet, have been very haoppy with the dogs since putting them on advance active and always get comments at how healthy they look. chop gets 250gm meat and a scoop and half of kibble a day , 2 if he has been really active