Family Dog?

gtjell

If you decide not to go ahead with the Shih tzu pup, a Brittany might be a good option for you to consider. I'm considering breeds at the moment too and have a young child and they were suggested to me because they are a smaller dog (than a Rottweiler) with a low grooming requirement that is good with kids.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just typed out a long post in reply and lost it in the ether. Here it is summarised....

I have had 5 over the years, one which is still alive (15 this year) but was lost in the great divorce of 07.

I have had them when I had babies, toddlers, small and large kids and they fitted in well. I have taken them deep sea fishing (Strika loved Squid and would steal the squid off the bait board if you didn't keep an eye on him), motorbike riding and camping, they flew, travelled the nullabor and did everything that a growing family would do.

They were never agressive and I would have another one in a heartbeat!!

They ARE smart dogs. Very smart! Strika in particular was clever little boy. He never had to walked on a lead, I could point command and voice command him. He was just awesome.

They are also very protective of family. I had two of mine, keep a group of 5 or 6 aggressive teens away from my early teen boys. The two of them ganged up on whoever was the closest aggressor to my boys. I also witnessed Strika at age 4 launch himself at Labrador which was being agressive towards my wife one day on the beach. Strika when he saw his human mum frightened, bolted towards this Lab (it was a big Lab too.) and launched himelf at the lab fully body slam mid air!!! I was shocked! Then he snapped and growled at the Lab until it backed away from her! Most impressed I was!!! :)

They also love cuddles!! But can be energetic if you want them to be.

i would have another in a heartbeat. :)

I'm confused, which breed are you talking about? They sound great whatever they are :laugh:

Ooops, sorry, my bad. English Cocker Spaniels. Black ones to be exact. :)

I just typed out a long post in reply and lost it in the ether. Here it is summarised....

I have had 5 over the years, one which is still alive (15 this year) but was lost in the great divorce of 07.

I have had them when I had babies, toddlers, small and large kids and they fitted in well. I have taken them deep sea fishing (Strika loved Squid and would steal the squid off the bait board if you didn't keep an eye on him), motorbike riding and camping, they flew, travelled the nullabor and did everything that a growing family would do.

They ARE smart dogs. Very smart! Strika in particular was clever little boy. He never had to walked on a lead, I could point command and voice command him. He was just awesome.

They are also very protective of family. I had two of mine, keep a group of 5 or 6 aggressive teens away from my early teen boys. The two of them ganged up on whoever was the closest aggressor to my boys. I also witnessed Strika at age 4 launch himself at Labrador which was being agressive towards my wife one day on the beach. Strika when he saw his human mum frightened, bolted towards this Lab (it was a big Lab too.) and launched himelf at the lab fully body slam mid air!!! I was shocked! Then he snapped and growled at the Lab until it backed away from her! Most impressed I was!!! :)

I'm confused, which breed are you talking about? They sound great whatever they are :laugh:

Too much coat and grooming for a busy family?

Too much coat and grooming for a busy family?

The OP has stated in a previous post that she doesn't mind doing some grooming. :)