Family Dog?

gtjell

Hi all,

Just looking for some advice in regard to dog breeds that may suit my family. We are a family of 6 with 4 children aged from 2 - 10 and want to add a puppy. We are looking at the dog being an inside/outside dog. We have had in the past a silky terrier and a rottweiler - yep both at the same time - they were great mates. We had a bad experience with a lab from a puppy farm (I have learnt my lesson- that said I wasnt aware he was from a puppy farm until I went and picked him up. We had already paid a deposit and just couldnt walk away :( ) and he went to live with a friend on acerage with no children.

Was hoping to get a smaller dog and would love some advice on what type and reputable breeders please.

We have a 1000 square meters with a good fence in town and are fairly active - ie walks and rides with the kids. I used to be a dog groomer while at uni so long hair isnt an issue.

Thanks heaps in advance.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you thought of an Australian terrier?

They are wonderful family dogs,that are great with kids.

They are a very hardy, robust & healthy breed, itelligent, friendly, loyal fun loving clowns with personality plus!! :)

They have a low shedding easy to maintain coat, they love to please their people so they are one of the easier terriers to train, & are not too yappy either...but will bark to announce company or strangers, so they make good watch dogs too. :)

My next door neighbours have a JRT and she is a great dog, except we have cats and she occasionally gets out and holes them up under our house. She eventually gives up and returns home, often with a few scatches to her face. My cousins grew up with Australian terriers and they were nice dogs too. I would possibly choose an Aussie over a JRT, as JRTs can be very determined. They are however also very loyal. I have also met some really nice Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

Id definetly say a beagle!

I wouldn't if offlead control was to be a frequent requirement.

Is this a dog you need to be athletic and up to a lot of offlead running with bikes?

I'm finding it difficult to recommend a dog based on what we've got to work with.

Will the dog attend any training? How would you describe your kids.. pretty knock about or more quiet and sensitive.

Is getting on with other dogs or being able to be easily controlled offlead (with training) something you need in this dog?

And most importantly, why didn't the Lab work out?? What was it about that dog that didn't work in your home?

Edited by poodlefan

Well I am a lab person - so of course I think they are best.

However if you want a smaller dog Cav's are great. My brother got a cav as they wanted a smaller dog and they have 2 young kids. The Cav is so patient with them!! Also don't have to worry about then escaping from the yard.

Do you have any particular favourites or traits that you want in a dog? what type of exercise level do you want? When you say small do you mean small like a silky size or small like a cocker spaniel size? if you are active you want something that can handle the activity level without tiring.

I know puppies are hard to resist, but would an older dog be more suitable. Four kids must be a lot of work and when the puppy goes through its teenage years it will maybe be a hard slog to keep it out of trouble and occupied. Is your eldest kid on board with helping out? My parents made me wait until I was 12 at which point I could walk the dog by myself.

Mind you, I totally get why you would want a puppy and as for breed prob a non working breed in the toys that might need less stimulation than a JRT and the like. I hear havanese are easy going little dogs if you don't mind grooming.

good luck!

Cardigan Corgi.

From a good registered breeder, of course.

Compact size, laid-back personality, sensible, highly adaptable to living a life as an inside pet along with outdoor activities.

My family had a Cardigan Corgi when we were kids....Biddy. A versatile & sensible little dog. Loyal little housedog following my mother around the house, totally reliable playing with the kids in the yard... & would instantly switch to outdoor 'girl' whenever a walk, a ride in the car, a camping trip, or a couple of days out on the motor launch came up. Biddy was brilliant on my father's boat....she was a regular on his fishing trips around Moreton Bay. Charter boat skippers would yell out across the water, 'G'day, Biddy!'

Not easily spooked or fazed, Biddy was a brilliant family pet, for the total lifestyle.

I also like the Australian terrier;My inlaws had two and they were tough, good with young and old.The Jack Russell.My hubby had a Parsons J R when he was a boy and says he was a good dog.Beagles are good if you are very active and like to go out walking a lot.I had a Beagle as a child;but watch they can dig out under a fence to look for company.If you can go a bit bigger ;a sheltie or samoyed.

Edited by budgiew

Give the labs another chance! They are perfect size for an inside dog and big and solid enough for heaps of play and exercise and for you and your family to feel protected and secure. Your kids will have a big best friend and companion for many many years! Plus they are definitely the best looking breed ;-) I'll post some pics of my lab baby, that should convince you :-)

Definitely agree with Aussie Terrier, they're great little dogs.

However, not sure if you mean "small" as in toy size, or as in "small compared to a rotty" LOL. If it's the latter, perhaps think about an Australian Shepherd or even a Finnish Lapphund. Both are working dogs, but they're not as high-drive as the Border Collies, but they'll stand up to rough play from the kids.

I'd suggest a whippet, as long as the kids are fairly sensitive. Whippets aren't usually ok with much rough play. They are basically odourless, so indoors is not a problem, but outdoors they will at very least need a warm kennel and a good jacket in winter (you might be tempted to use one as a hot-water bottle though, they love getting in bed with their family). They are great family dogs and great with kids. They don't require a heap of exercise, but will love you for taking them for a walk, and especially a run in a good off leash area once a day. No road sense however and not marathon-runners. 10-15kg medium size dog you can pick up if you need to! Very sweet-natured and pretty intelligent, but not 'eager to please' many train quite well, but do have a 'what's in it for me' attitude.

Can't recommend them enough though!

forgot to mention very sound breed very rarely any hereditary conditions etc

Edited by miss whippy