Aussie Made Dogs

Ons

what breeds of dogs have been made and developed in Australia. I can think of a few but I'm sure that I'm missing lots.

coolie - my heart dog

australian terrier

australian silky terrier

kelpie

australian cattle dog

tenterfield terriers

I'm not sure about the Australian Shepherd, was the breed recognised in Australia and then developed in America?

can anyone add any more to this list :)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

what breeds of dogs have been made and developed in Australia. I can think of a few but I'm sure that I'm missing lots.

coolie - my heart dog

australian terrier

australian silky terrier

kelpie

australian cattle dog

tenterfield terriers

I'm not sure about the Australian Shepherd, was the breed recognised in Australia and then developed in America?

a dog that is in development is the aussie bulldog, australia's answer to the british bulldog. i think they are 10 years into getting them recognised by the ANKC. they are completely opposite to the BB, one of my friends has 2 and they are beautiful dogs. i am hoping they get recognised as a breed as there is 2 clubs working towards this now.

coolie - my heart dog

australian terrier

australian silky terrier

kelpie

australian cattle dog

tenterfield terriers

The Australian shepherd is a breed of herding dog that was developed on ranches in the Western United States. Despite its name, the breed, commonly known as an Aussie, did not originate in Australia[2] They acquired their name because some of the Australian sheepdogs arrived in the United States with boatloads of Australian sheep.[3][4] The breed rose gradually in popularity with the boom of western riding after World War I. They became known to the general public through rodeos, horse shows, and through Disney movies made for television.

For many years, Aussies have been valued by stockmen for their inherent versatility and trainability. While they continue to work as stockdogs and compete in herding trials, the breed has earned recognition in other roles due to their trainability and eagerness to please, and are highly regarded for their skills in obedience. Like all working breeds, the Aussie has considerable energy and drive, and usually needs a job to do. It often excels at dog sports such as dog agility, flyball, and frisbee. They are also highly successful search and rescue dogs, disaster dogs, detection dogs, guide, service, and therapy dogs.

Stumpy Tail Cattle Dog

I can't believe I forgot about the stumpy tail - I fostered one last year for ACD Rescue - he was the most devine dog, so energetic but with the sweetest nature

Australian Bulldog - I completely forgot about the Australian Bulldog :o

minature fox terriers are they the same as Tenterfield terriers or a different breed :o

coolie - my heart dog

australian terrier

australian silky terrier

kelpie

australian cattle dog

tenterfield terriers

I thought the Coolie was in fact the German Coolie and imported here.

Stumpy Tail Cattle Dog

I can't believe I forgot about the stumpy tail - I fostered one last year for ACD Rescue - he was the most devine dog, so energetic but with the sweetest nature

Australian Bulldog - I completely forgot about the Australian Bulldog :o

minature fox terriers are they the same as Tenterfield terriers or a different breed :o

Is the mini foxie a real breed?

The Australian Shepherd was unknown here until the early 1990's.

Wasn't the standard for the Border Collie developed here? I know they originated in the UK, but something about them was developed here.

The Australian Shepherd was unknown here until the early 1990's.

Wasn't the standard for the Border Collie developed here? I know they originated in the UK, but something about them was developed here.

I remember something about the Border Collie people having to decided whether the breed was Aussie or Scottish? So you might be correct.

I thought the Coolie was in fact the German Coolie and imported here.

the coolie aka German Coolie and can be spelt with a "k" was definitely bred in Australia. The reason the german is in the name is that the origins are from South Australia and there was a large german population farming down that way who started developing the coolie.

Border collies are definitely Scottish/english but my understanding is that the breed commenced development here

I always thought the Miniature Fox Terrier was a registered breed but it isn't. Sorry. I have just had a look and they have their own registry.

The website claims there are similarities between the Tenterfield and the mini foxie but that they are different breeds. Wow learn something new every day. :)

Edited by Crazy Daisy

Its an Australian Kelpie ;)

lol - i actually wondered if I should have typed "Australian" in front of them or if they are known just as kelpies. Now I know :) another awesome dog - hey they were developed from coolie stock so of course they are :)

jrts - are definitely english. Every second english household seems to have one - I think from memory that my aunt's sister had some of the first ones in the 1970s, they were pretty rare back then anyway. I could be wrong though. They seem to have gained popularity very quickly.