Uk Charity Limits Care To 1 Pedigree Pet Per Family

shortstep

The Flatcoated Retriever stud book, to the best of my knowledge, was reopened after WWII due allow out crossing to Golden Retrievers due to the very low FCR numbers remaining. Skyehaven and other FCR owners would know for sure.

This, I believe, is the reason yellow FCR's continue to crop up in some litters.

Can I just point out Shortstep, that none of the examples you've given to increase gene pools involve crossbreeding dogs. In every case, the dogs have been the same breed, but not registered. Finding working populations of an existing breed and adding them to the stud book is not revolutionary.. its been going on for years.

And in every case, I'm guessing those dogs outside the register and allowed onto the stud books would then be considered as an unhealthy purebreds by the charity organisation referred to in your first post. Yay, NOT.

Such examples may not be found readily with in the K.Cs,but is happening with out.The results often very well recieved.

I know of one cross breed competing with Dogs N.S.W who has been held up by them as a wonderful example of his "breed".I'm not sure if his pedigree status is known so won't elaborate.

Unfortunatly there are disgruntled breeders leaving the K.Cs to do their own thing, and being well recieved for their results.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Such examples may not be found readily with in the K.Cs,but is happening with out.The results often very well recieved.

I know of one cross breed competing with Dogs N.S.W who has been held up by them as a wonderful example of his "breed".I'm not sure if his pedigree status is known so won't elaborate.

Unfortunatly there are disgruntled breeders leaving the K.Cs to do their own thing, and being well recieved for their results.

If they're still breeding purebreds, according to Shortshep they ain't.

You're now narrowing the scope of the discussion to "inbreeding practices". The topic of this thread was the fact that purebred dogs are unhealthy by definition of their pedigree status alone.

Are you telling me that all knowledgeable Saluki people want to crossbreed their dogs? I'd have thought most would regard that proposal as heresy. Advocacy of lowering COI's is not the same as advocating crossbreeding.

The aim of the cangen list is to save purebred dogs.

How the hell do you do that by routinely and universally crossbreeding them? :confused:

It doesn't routinely promote crossbreeding but rather, diversity. There are some people who crossbreed on the list but most people are purebred breeders.

Can I just point out Shortstep, that none of the examples you've given to increase gene pools involve crossbreeding dogs. In every case, the dogs have been the same breed, but not registered. Finding working populations of an existing breed and adding them to the stud book is not revolutionary.. its been going on for years.

And in every case, I'm guessing those dogs outside the register and allowed onto the stud books would then be considered as an unhealthy purebreds by the charity organisation referred to in your first post. Yay, NOT.

Kelpies, both unregistered and the registered dogs are allowed to be crossbred and the registry has an apendix register just to accomidate these cross bred dogs so they may rejoin the regular stud book after 3 generations, just like what the UK kennel club is now doing.

Saluki are crossed with other sight hounds, afgan is one breed I have heard them talk about using.

Jack Russels in their working stud book also have an open registry and allow cross breeding.

ISDS allows dogs to enter the stud book if they can pass the working tests and pass the health testing.

The sled dog and racing sled dog breeders use several breeds and combinations depending on what they are breeding for.

Most working breeds that have working registers (at least the ones I know about) have open stud books and always have.

Anyway if reducing inbreeding is not considered a problem and if allowing open stud books is not considered a problem in ANKC, then the future is looking very good indeed. We should just get off the pot and do it before we are made to do it.

The only horses I have ever owned was in the US and they were racing bred registered quarter horses and they were all had cross breeding of throughbred behind. Great animals.

The breed of sheep I raise is commonly cross bred and then brought back over a few generations into the stud book as purebred.

Edited by shortstep