Tricks For A Pup!

Olivebaby

Hi! I know this doesn't really belong here but the tricks sections doesn't look like it gets used much. I you want it moved please feel free :-)

My question is, what are some good tricks I can do with my 5 month ol Labrador pup? She LOVES to do tricks and I don't want to fall behind but have run out of new ideas. She sits, stays, drops, rolls over, plays dead, crawls, spins, catches balls, finds her ball when hiding (even on a bookshelf... I'm very impressed) she shakes, gives 5 and 10! So I'm pretty much out of age appropriate puppy trick ideas. If anyone has a suggestion and how to do it I would be very grateful. Also she is clicker trained. Well kind of. I'm still getting used to the whole concept :-)

Hi! I know this doesn't really belong here but the tricks sections doesn't look like it gets used much. I you want it moved please feel free :-)

My question is, what are some good tricks I can do with my 5 month ol Labrador pup? She LOVES to do tricks and I don't want to fall behind but have run out of new ideas. She sits, stays, drops, rolls over, plays dead, crawls, spins, catches balls, finds her ball when hiding (even on a bookshelf... I'm very impressed) she shakes, gives 5 and 10! So I'm pretty much out of age appropriate puppy trick ideas. If anyone has a suggestion and how to do it I would be very grateful. Also she is clicker trained. Well kind of. I'm still getting used to the whole concept :-)

Your pup sounds AWESOME.

Another couple

Get her to walk backwards.

Teach Left and right.

Crawl backwards.

Figure of 8 between your legs.

Leg Weaving as you walk.

Shape her into a box.

Front feet on a phone book

Back feet on a phone book.

Walking along a line of pool noodles (teaches body awareness)

Walk between the rungs of a ladder that is lying on the ground.

Different heeling positions (left, right, front, back)

Then if you want to spend a little money (or a lot) on toys:

Wobble boards (you can make or buy these) - standing, sitting, pivotting)

Bosu Balls (The 1/2 rubber ball with the solid base). They can stand on them with the flat surface down or the curved surface down. It is easier on grass and then gets harder on solid surfaces).

Other assorted rubber fitness toys similar to the bosu balls can also be used.

4 tins - one foot on each tin.

This is my girl learning figure of 8 earlier this year.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Tony

Thanks heaps I'll give them a go. Olive is pretty awesome she is a fast and keen learner. We still work on these tricks everyday of course as she has not got all of them perfect Eg. She won't die on the 'bang bang' compand from a standing position only when she is already down. Any suggestions on that one? most of the time though she does exactly what I want her to do. Its amazing how connected you can become with your pup through training. It brings me so much joy to see her do the right things, and she always looks very pleased with herself as well :-)

I can't check out the video yet either but will be sure to do have a look soon :-)

One thing I really need to work on is recall but it's so fricken hard to do this at the park on a long lead when every single dog wants to sniff Olive and get her all excited and distracted on her lead!

I teach my pups nose touches onto my hand. If you like, you can then use this other tricks for example weaving between your legs.

I know this is really simple but it is useful as a way of giving quick, fast treats, before you start a more challenging exercise. For my older dog it is a warm up before practicing agility equipment.

One thing I really need to work on is recall but it's so fricken hard to do this at the park on a long lead when every single dog wants to sniff Olive and get her all excited and distracted on her lead!

I wouldn't be trying to teach this in the dog park (at all, but that's just me) until you have it really solid without the distractions, otherwise you are setting her up to fail, not to succeed. When you do get there start really close and then work up to the distance you are trying with the long lead at present.

With the bang bang thing it sounds like you've asked her to generalise a little too much. ie: To her Bang bang means roll over from a drop, not end up on you back from whatever position you are in. Maybe you need to take the command off it and start from the stand and shape (or lure, depending how you are teaching) the whole thing.

Cheers

T

No I think that would be perfect and so cute. Are agility type tricks bad for physical development at this age?

EVERYTHING you have done is an agility type trick. The only things we try and avoid are jumping, sudden stops and weaving - they are the ones that will do damage. The rest is all foundation work and will help to strengthen and build body awareness and are done from 8 weeks by many agility people. (Oh - don't ask her to walk on her hind legs until she is a bit older - that is another one to avoid).

Is your pup actually proofed in all those commands i.e. will she do it in differentt environments and under distractions? If not, that's what I would be working on before adding more tricks.

There are heaps on agility "foundation" exercises you can teach your puppy without any equipment. If you are interested I would get your hands on Susan Gerrett's book Shaping Success.

Cheers for the reccommendation. Have ordered it and can't wait for it to arrive! :thumbsup:

Me and my girl Juno will be attending our first agility class on Sunday :D :happydance2:

Yes I think I'll look into it as well. I know she will be able to do anything I teach her. It's me who has to learn. I have never had a pup before so this is all very new to me.

Thanks for all the great suggestions guys.

There are heaps on agility "foundation" exercises you can teach your puppy without any equipment. If you are interested I would get your hands on Susan Gerrett's book Shaping Success.

Cheers for the reccommendation. Have ordered it and can't wait for it to arrive! :thumbsup:

Me and my girl Juno will be attending our first agility class on Sunday :D :happydance2:

Good Luck. :thumbsup: I am sure you will have fun!

You will love the book. :D

Yes I think I'll look into it as well. I know she will be able to do anything I teach her. It's me who has to learn. I have never had a pup before so this is all very new to me.

Thanks for all the great suggestions guys.

Same here :thumbsup: my first baby too!

I haven't taught her any new tricks in awhile so will have to get back into it! Her list isn't as long as your bubs so we've got some catching up to do :laugh: I haven't really been in the tricks area on here much so will have to check it out

Edited by Sezz