Newbie Question

lisajs

Hi,

Excuse my ignorance, but I don't know where to start asking this question. I have a beautiful 1 and half year old small Toy Poodle (black). We were given him over a year ago but have not yet had him fixed. I have always toyed with the idea of breeding him. As we were given him, we were given some paperwork relating to his breeder (somewhere south of the gold coast) but not what I imagine would be pure breed papers, although the lovely lady who couldn't have him anymore said he was pure breed.

Should I consider breeding him, what should I consider? As I said, this is my first enquiry into this area before I make the decision whether to take him to the vet or not. Any assistance or direction would be most appreciated.

Thank you

Lisa

Hi,

Excuse my ignorance, but I don't know where to start asking this question. I have a beautiful 1 and half year old small Toy Poodle (black). We were given him over a year ago but have not yet had him fixed. I have always toyed with the idea of breeding him. As we were given him, we were given some paperwork relating to his breeder (somewhere south of the gold coast) but not what I imagine would be pure breed papers, although the lovely lady who couldn't have him anymore said he was pure breed.

Should I consider breeding him, what should I consider? As I said, this is my first enquiry into this area before I make the decision whether to take him to the vet or not. Any assistance or direction would be most appreciated.

Thank you

Lisa

Without papers and testing for PRA, no responsible bitch owner would want to use him.

You could not register pups from any litter he sired.

Short answer - NO.

Longer answer - No, the dog in question is on main register with Dogs QLD and then only if you have undertaken all necessary health testing for the breed.

Edited: I overlooked the part that said 'he' LOL so yes only registered breeder if own the bitch.

Edited by Danois

Short answer - NO.

Longer answer - No, unless you are a registered breeder, the dog in question is on main register with Dogs QLD and then only if you have undertaken all necessary health testing for the breed.

You don't have to be a registered breeder to own a stud dog just a member of your states CC.

As the owner of a dog that is used at stud the dog does have to have something to offer the bitch owners other than just being main register and health tested. The dog should improve on the bitch whether it is for conformation or performance.

Ask yourself these questions:

Is he health tested for PRA, hip and elbow scored, and tested for any other inheritable disease known to be found in poodles? (this doesn't mean a basic health check at the vet's)

Is he pedigreed and main registered with your state's canine control body?

If the answer is no to the above questions, then no, do not breed your boy.

What is the reason to breed? Is it just because he's not desexed? Is it to make cute puppies? If the answer is yes, again, no. Do not breed your boy.

Poodles are a very popular breed and one that has been cashed in on to produce 'designer dogs' like Poodle/Labrador crosses. There is a lot more to breeding than meets the eye, and a dog has to be able to bring something to the breed for people to want to have their bitches serviced by him. This means adhering to the Toy Poodle breed standard, for one. Adding to overwhelming supply of puppies on the market without taking into consideration things like betterment of the breed and the breed standard, then it won't do any favours for the Toy Poodle as a breed.

Desex your boy and enjoy him as a pet. :)

Edited by mr.mister

Have a look in the rescue section of this forum and see how many dogs get pts everyday and are looking for a home! There are more then enough dogs in this country.

Dont breed if you dont do it to make the breed better!

Is he health tested for PRA, hip and elbow scored, and tested for any other inheritable disease known to be found in poodles? (this doesn't mean a basic health check at the vet's)

These are not tests routinely carried out on Toy Poodles.

These are not tests routinely carried out on Toy Poodles.

Ah ok. :)

i had a query several months ago with a lady who owned a purebred poodle without papers. she said she was researching patella luxation and came across my article in my website.

upon questioning her further, she'd gotten this dog from her cousin who bred unregistered dogs and knew alot about the breed she said.

she wanted to know where she could find a stud for her dog and seeing as she is paying big money she wanted one that has been tested for any known diseases.

so i promptly told her that any ethical breeders that are registered and testing would not want a bitch not registered mating with their dogs and she would not know what is in the bloodlines and what she could produce. she was playing russian roulette.

after that i did not care to get a response back, me being frank with a stranger, so i blocked her. Last time i was honest and frank some crazy lady said she will send police around to me simply because she didn't want to hear my opinion after asking for it!!!