Should L Breed Again

Jodielass

I don't want to start an argument but is it really possible to tell at 10 weeks that a puppy of any breed is show quality and Stud quality? Isn't it a bit young?

Just curious, do you show your girl?

I do not do showing my self.I have done one show. We won our class.My dog was the only won in it.So we got a blue ribbon.The comment i made was repeating what another breeder said to me.

I do obedience and flyball.

Your question is

Now my girl has had one ceasarian is she likely to need another one if I breed her ? Yes ?

There is no way of knowing. She may be absolutely fine or she may not.

If you do decide to breed her & she has to have another one then desex her.

Yes that is what i was thinking so you would give it one more time to see.?

I assume you are asking because of the C section? My first and only breeding attempt resulted in a C Section, an emergency one because the the vets didn't listen to me. I can still remember the moment quite clearly when the vet asked if I wanted to save the bitch or the puppies. Just a horrible experience. So I haven't bred again.

Hopefully nothing will go wrong for you the second time but I guess you need to weigh up how you will feel if it does.

As a participant in flyball and agility I take the view that I have a common breed (BC's) and that there are plenty of people out there breeding fantastic dogs. I am lucky enough that some of these wonderful people are willing to let me take one of their dogs into my home - dogs that fulfill everything I want in a dog.

The only way I would personally breed is if I could not find what I wanted in a dog from someone who is truly passionate about and skilled in breeding the breed I am interested in.

Unless there is a really good reason to breed your bitch (you want a dog you cannot find elsewhere) I would personally not risk another difficult birth.

Edited by Agility Dogs

How can all the puppies be of show quality?

Correct me if I am wrong but I was under the impression that even really experienced and successful breeders will generally only have a maximum of 3/4 puppies they consider may be show qaulity and will run on.

I would say there is more risk of your dog needing a C section compared to a dog that has never needed/had one before. But just becasue she had to have one this time does not neccesarily mean she will need one next time.

How can all the puppies be of show quality?

Correct me if I am wrong but I was under the impression that even really experienced and successful breeders will generally only have a maximum of 3/4 puppies they consider may be show qaulity and will run on.

I would say there is more risk of your dog needing a C section compared to a dog that has never needed/had one before. But just becasue she had to have one this time does not neccesarily mean she will need one next time.

You can have anything in a litter- you can have an entire litter of duds (even from great dogs) or an entire litter of stunners and a mix of everything in between. There is also some grey areas in show quality- a pup might meet all the requirements of the standard, so is technically show quality, but is not an exceptional example of the breed.

I am guessing that the OP had a generally good quality litter (ie no major faults), and one very promising boy. I have been involved with litter assessments where all have been deemed show quality where I would have only pick one or two- either because of expectations or just preference of type.

Her risk would depend on how fit she will be in two years, how big her litter is, how big the individual pups are in the litter etc. I dont think she has more risk of having a section next time than she was this time so if everything is the same next time (not likely) then she would need another- but the fact that she has already had one is not a risk factor itself.