Swedish Vallhunds

Roguedog

It's not a very common breed, so Ausled is one of the only breeders in the DOL listings that frequent these forums. Otherwise, this thread holds a lot of information about the breed from owners on DOL.

Roguedog

What do you want to know about the Swedish Vallhund standard?

I have good knowledge of the standard we use in Australia as well as the standard used in country of origin.

Cheers

just wondering if a white paw is acceptable or a fault.... ill also shoot over to the breed section to ask...

White paw or paws ok.

Quote from ANKC standard:

white markings are acceptable, but never in excess of one-third of total colour.

and quote from FCI standard i.e. standard from country of origin:

White is permitted to a small extent as a narrow blaze, neck spot or slight necklace. White markings are permitted on chest, fore-and hindlegs, but white socks may not extend above upper half of leg.

Edited cause I had to go looking for exact wording used in Swedish standard and other FCI countries.

Cheers

Edited by LisaJ

cheers!!!! how about the tail? the girl im thinking of showing has a full tail, not curled... when stacked should the tail be held up?? sorry for the seemingly stupid questions but ive never shown a vallhund before, I think I need to come to a few shows to watch the veterans do their thing..

cheers!!!! how about the tail? the girl im thinking of showing has a full tail, not curled... when stacked should the tail be held up?? sorry for the seemingly stupid questions but ive never shown a vallhund before, I think I need to come to a few shows to watch the veterans do their thing..

Hi Roguedog, have you been in touch with breeder, your breeder should be able to help you with all those questions :)

I have the dog but not the paperwork yet, her previous owner is a friend and is getting it together for me to transfer her into my name, once I have the paperwork ill know her lines and breeder... she is main reg so ill be able to continue her show career (once I have an understanding of the standard and how a vallhund should be shown!!) :)

... her eyes are a little too light but other than that she seems to be a good representitive of the breed...

I am sure you saw this paragraph of the standard too:

Faults: Any departure from the foregoing points should be considered a fault and the seriousness with which the fault should be regarded should be in exact proportion to its degree and its effect upon the health and welfare of the dog.

And these paragraphs (also from the standard) that - to me - makes them such special and lovely dogs to live with:

Characteristics: Appearance and expression denote a watchful, alert, energetic dog.

Temperament: Friendly, active, eager to please.

Cheers