How To Stop My Dog From Scratching After His Operation

GSDowner

My German Shepherd had his operation last Thursday.

His sutures are 6cm long and not covered by bandage.

My dog got a cortisone injection and an antibiotic (Rilexine)to stop him from scratching ; he still scratches, although hasn't undone the sutures.

I would be so grateful if someone could advise me if there is any good

home remedy (bandait?) I could try (I am trying to avoid an Elisabeth. collar).

What surgery? castration? He may have an irritation from the clipping. Cortisone cream on the area is helpful.

But sometimes an e-collar is the only way to go if he starts chewing.....its a lot cheaper than have the sutures put but in after they chew them out.

Good luck :)

Is there a reason why you are trying to avoid the Elizabethan collar? There are a few different styles available including ( I believe) softer ones.

I had one for my girl when she was desexed and the peace of mind was fantastic. Was so nice to be able to hop in the shower for a quick one without worrying if the dog was scratching at her stitches :) .

I always request minimal clipping before surgery and have never needed an e-collar. The clipped area becomes itchy as the hair grows back so the less they clip, the less irritation there is, the less the dog worries about it.

Cortisone cream, alpha keri ointment or curash powder can help on the rash once it develops. Just don't put any of them on the actual stitches.

Edited by dancinbcs

Did they disinfect the area on his belly before the op with betadine/iodine, some dogs can have allergic reactions to this. (Don't know what vets use now as it has been many years since I have had my dogs done) I have had a couple of mine drive themselves and me crazy, itching and licking the area. I tried washing it in warm salty water, using cortisone cream, also pawpaw ointment, even given them polaramine 2mg but nothing really seems to relieve it, it just takes it's time to come good. My dogs get clipped close on their bellies as part of their 3 monthly clip, and none of them have a reaction to the clipping.

Thanks so much for the replies and advice.

He had a lump cut out (a nipple changed into a lump).

So far I only saw a droplet of blood, but the stiches are in place.

I yell at him when he scratches and he immediately stops, but

there are times when I am not around or am asleep.

As far as this collar is concerned I understand it would help only

if he chewed the area, but the problem is his scratching.

Can you use a bandage to wrap around his tummy to lightly cover the wound or use a t-shirt or doggy pjs to stop him reaching it? Alternatively you could put socks on his feet and tape them on so his claws won't actually do any damage.