Aloe Vera Causes Fertility Issues In Stud Dogs

dog geek

Thought I would share this article from The International Journal Of Animal And Veterinary Advances.

Aloe Vera juice is demonstrably magnificently nutritious - no arguement there.

However, the results from this study indicate it is NOT suitable for stud dogs... or males of any other species hoping to procreate, I guess.

http://maxwellsci.com/print/ijava/v3-47-53.pdf

Male Wistar rats were used to study the effects of graded concentration of Aloe vera gel on the

gonadosomatic index and the spermatozoa morphological characteristics.

Ninety six rats (140 to 255 g) were

randomly grouped into four: A (Control), B (200 mg/kg), C (300 mg/kg) and D (400 mg/kg); and were treated

for one, two and three weeks.

Samples were collected after each of these periods. The results revealed

significant increase (p<0.05) in the gonadosomatic index of the testis and the epididymis as well as significant

increase (p<0.05) in the percentage of spermatozoa abnormalities in the test groups when compared with the

control.

These increase (p<0.05) were concentration-dependent for each week and increases (p<0.05) with

duration of administration from the first week to the third week.

It was therefore concluded that Aloe vera gel

should be used with caution in breeding bulk, stud, ram and bull; and should be less than 200 mg/kg when being

administered for up to 7 consecutive days.

• 2 weeks later...

The ratios were pretty high - body weight of the rats was between 140g to 255g.

Concentrations of 2,3, and 4g of pure aloe vera juice - which were then each diluted in 100ml of distilled water - were 2oo, 300 and 400mg per kg.

Even the rats on the lowest dosage rate showed a difference to the controls after just one week; and the difference between the controls and the other groups increased each week of treatment thereafter.

Reason I was interested in the results of this research is that I was using aloe vera juice in the dogs' mix that I prepare at home, which is then consumed with enthusiasm by both cats and dogs - soooooo hope the effect is not cumulative/permanent...

My dogs love aloe and whilst I dont use it that often for stud dogs when its used for short periods in small amounts it helps here rather than hinders.

It shouldnt be taken all the time anyway but rather for short periods in small amounts - a male dog of say 30kgs would normally have around 5mils twice a day for about a week.

The amino acids in it - one of which is arginine helps heaps

That is SUCH a relief to hear - I am hoping I haven't jinxed my first ever litter! :eek:

I agree that aloe is a fantastic supplement - just that the conspicious effect it has on boy rats' wrigglers was a bit :dropjaw: