Why Is It So?

Lab_Rat

Does anyone else observe this behaviour in their dogs??

If our two are fed before us, they will then try and hang around us while we eat (are sent to their beds of course!) and expect a morsel at the end!

However if we eat first, they will stay on their beds and not bother us at all!!!!!

This is not just a one off thing - Ive been conducting my own experiments :laugh: and it happens every time!!

Not here. Dory will hang around whenever there is food around. She doesn't beg though, well not to me, but she will sit and look all sad eyes at the daughter.

She will also guard dirty dishes, empty food packets, bags of unopened food, shopping or any bag that has food or smells like food from the cat (even if it is on the bench or somewhere inaccessible to her). She doesn't get nasty, she just pushes him out of the way.

Normal pack behaviour. You are top of the pack so if you eat first they understand that you get first pick of the food and they have to wait their turn. If you feed them first then it becomes their turn to eat so they feel entitled to all food that comes after their's as well.

Is it really that simple?????

I have also noticed when Im home by myself, it doesnt matter whether they eat before or after me, they stay on their beds!!! I wonder whether they see my OH as below them in the pack :rofl:

mIne are really good and never try and take food, even out of the kids hands. They will however steal any food they can off the table or bench if I leave the room!

If they get off their bed while we are having tea they get kicked outside, Needless to say they picked that up pretty quickly!

If dogs are fed before humans eat, Bailey cries and barks at the door.

If dogs are fed after humans eat, Bailey cries and barks at the door.

My conclusion, Bailey loves food.

:laugh:

My dogs always hang around and beg for food whenever I eat anything. No "pack" issues here. Not that I believe that humans are part of the pack or hierarchy anyway.

x2. :)